Popeye got it right spinach is not only a healthy vegetable it really does give a power boost. This humble green vegetable is jam packed with goodness & has zero fat content, it really is an A-MAZING veggie. There are several varieties of spinach grown in many parts of the world but mainly here is Australia we have Silver beet which is a dark green crinkly & curly type leaf, English Spinach which is a small green leaf variety & then there is the Asian variety. The leaves are the main part to eat but you can eat the stems if you choose too. Silver beet has a thick white stem which most prefer to remove as it can be a little woody. So why did Popeye think spinach was so good? Well it’s easy here are some nutritional facts:
- Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol
- High in Dietary Fibre,
- Packed with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper, Manganese, Thiamine, Folate & Zinc.
Cooking with Spinach – To prepare spinach just give it a good wash under the tap but don’t soak it in water as this will cause a decrease in the vitamin value & also the taste. Don’t wash spinach before putting in the fridge & it will keep fresher longer if placed in a sealed plastic bag. There are lots of ways to include spinach in your recipes such as tossed in a salad, cooked in a stir-fry or quiche or as a side vegetable. I also love it in lasagnas or in soups & vegetable juicing too.
Here are 6 good reasons why you should include Spinach into your diet.
- Eating just one cup of cooked spinach is as good as getting 35% of the body’s required supply of iron for the day?
- Spinach can also assist in curing anaemia which causes brittle nails, pale complexion, itching, hair dryness & drying of the mouth.
- Iron is needed by the body to produce the right amount of oxygen which is an important element in restoring broken tissues.
- It also helps in maintaining the skin’s firmness through the increased production of collagen & elastin.
- It also has neoxanthins that break up prostate cancer cells.
- It can also help fight colon & breast cancer, researchers discovered that the juice of spinach has compounds that helps stop cancer cells from multiplying in the stomach & skin. So eat up and enjoy some amazing health benefits.
Annette’s cookbooks SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE 1-6 are sold in all good newsagents or visit Annette’s website for more info, recipes and tips. Check out Annette’s new 12 week Symply Slim & Healthy Mentoring Program at www.symplytoogood.com.au
To find out more about Annette’s 3 day workshop click here
Published 22nd February 2013