This warm green vege salad with bacon and pinenuts is a great dinner (or lunch) for nights when you need a big vege hit and don’t have much meat in the fridge. The bacon adds enough flavour that you don’t feel you’re missing out but with only 3 rashers, this is a nice cheap, healthy meal.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 - 2 med/large Zucchini
- 1 large Red Onion, peeled and cut into rounds about 0.5cm thick
- 2 cups Baby Brussel Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Pinenuts
- 3 Tbsp Olive, Walnut or Macadamia Nut or Peanut Oil (your choice)
- 3 rashers Short cut Bacon
- Remove ends of zucchini and cut into rounds about 0.5cm thick.
- Peel red onion and slice into rounds about 0.5cm thick.
- Nip the end off each brussel sprout and cut in half.
- Heat a deep sided frypan to high, add 1 Tbsp of oil then lay the bacon and the onion rings on the base of the frypan and brown off, turning to avoid sticking or burning.
- Allow to sizzle for 2 - 3 minutes then add the zucchini and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes, turning the zucchini to brown slightly on both sides.
- Add the brussel sprouts, pinenuts, salt and pepper and toss everything together. Continue to toss for another 2 minutes until brussel sprouts are bright green and pinenuts are toasted.
- Remove from heat and drizzle remaining oil over to serve.