These little critters are by far the nicest – littlest – sweetest things we have made, and when their bums light up… well that just brings squeals of happiness!! You just have to try make some of these!
We live in The Netherlands now, but I’m originally from Durban in South Africa. One of the positives about 100% humidity and a tropical climate are the fireflies that come out at night and really are just amazing every time you get lucky enough to spot some!
We have a bunch of left over Easter eggs lying around, so deciding what to do with them I saw a post about turning them into a firefly using a glow stick. We don’t have glow sticks, but we do have lots of little tea lights, the battery kind, so we got making!
- 1 Empty plastic egg
- Some tissue paper and card to cut out wings
- 2 Eyes, we used googly eyes, but you can make your own
- 1 Battery operated tea light
- 3 Pipe cleaner to make legs
- An egg usually has a smaller – more pointy side – this is the backside! The yellow eggs work the best – we also used a purple one, and it glows, but not as well.
- Assemble your firefly by sticking 6 legs underneath the egg – I used 3 long pipe cleaners and stuck them in the center, feelers – I used a longer piece as I did the legs and stuck it in the center. Add wings, which you can make from card or tissue paper (I used both) and eyes.
- And then, the fun part – which I’ll admit even had me excited… turn on your tealight, pop it into the egg, facing backwards, and close the egg!
A firefly with a glowing bum! How much fun is that!
Want other brilliant projects sent to you?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
This project was posted by: