In a rare ruling a Melbourne couple have been denied the chance to go through IVF treatment to conceive a child.

Melbourne authorities have refused to let the couple seek IVF treatment due to ‘bad parenting’ of the woman’s other children. After losing their only other child together to SIDS the couple wanted a chance to have another child. The woman is reportedly so upset by the tragedy that she carries her infants ashes around with her.

Under Victorian law couples seeking IVF treatment are required to go thorugh a child protection check and they did not meet the requirements of this check. In recent years the Herald Sun reports that her 4 other children have been removed from her custody a number of times.

This ruling has only come into place in Victoria from 2010 and there are only a handful of other cases where couples have been refused treatment, most of which have been overturned and the parents to be have been allowed to go down the track of IVF.

What do you think? SHARE your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Main image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

• I agree with this decision. I’ve been through IVF and understand the struggle it can be on a very strong and close couple, so I can’t imagine how this couple might cope with the entire process. People on IVF are usually desperate to be parents too, and for a mother who has had 4 children already taken away from her, raises many red flags. I believe the right decision has been made in this instance.

• When her 4 other children have been removed from her custody a number of times, I agree that this couple’s wish for IVF treatment is denied or at least it needs to be investigated in depth.

• This is unusual – Has the woman in question sought counseling so she and her existing children can have a better relationship?

If this can’t be addressed straight away, there’s no room for her to apply IVF treatment.

• IVF gives hope to so many families. I think police checks and child safety checks are reasonable for the safety of the child, but they are no guarantee, only an indicator.

• From what I have read, I fully agree with the ban. In this instance the law is correct.

• Sometimes the law is not as ass.

• Finally something is being done to stop more kids being put in harms way. There should be more done but this is a good move. Yes it is sad for the couple but it\’s not worth the risk

• No way should this couple be able to access IVF until they can prove they are able to look after the ones they already have.

• It makes sense to stop them having more children through IVF as they have been unable to provide for their previous children who were removed from their care several times. It sounds like there are also some mental health issues as well with the mother carrying her deceased child’s ashes around with her.

• In SA I know a couple who were refused an application in the 1970s or early 80s because he didn’t earn a high enough salary. In the early 2000s they applied to foster relatives’ should they be unable to care for their children or be in an accident. They are occasionally interviewed and their house inspected. Now they pay Supporting Mother’s Benefit to singe Mums, not just unemployment and child endowment which is now Family Tax Benefit..
    Obviously there has been serious issues with her older children if they have been removed from her custody on several occasions – not just once. If she has another baby (via IVF or otherwise) will she care for it properly.

• It seems the law is correct in this instance!

• I am very happy to hear the government has interfered and actually done something to stop this clearly unfit parent from having more children and subjecting them to her ‘parenting’ – I am very sad for her existing children…

• have banned melbourne couple

• I do not have enough information to comment of this individual case. What is ‘bad parenting’?
    What are the screening procedures for IVF? More information in this article would be good and even some follow up articles. Will do a search and see if there is more info.

• Yes, I feel exactly the same way. In regards to journalism I have seen how much damage it can do, without proper research being done. The media can single handedly destroy a person’s reputation, without finding out the semantics of the situation. Whilst on the surface of this it perhaps looks like a no brainer, we can never assume that what the media presents us with is the truth. This is only a skeletal presentation of a story, and I need more information.

• From what I have read I’ve authorities have done the right thing