Her bridesmaid says that the decision to not the provide a meal has left friends and family shocked…

Catering can be one of the most expensive parts of a wedding, but one bride has gone against the trend and decided not to provide any food at her reception. Taking to Facebook, one of bridesmaids says that the absence of any food on the day will cause uproar with guests and believes there are other ways the couple could cut costs…

A Big Deal

In her post, the bridesmaid said that the bride had always wanted a relaxed wedding with minimal fuss. “They are really focused on their wedding being a nice relaxed time on some large outdoor property,” she wrote. “I love the simplicity and it’s totally them (but) I just found out that to cut costs, they’re not providing food. Like. What!?” The post went on to say that guests would have to order food to the wedding venue as it was a whole day affair. “It’s a whole day thing, even into the night, and no food!? Everyone else I can see just getting hammered with no food and it’s going to be messy,” she said.

Making Sacrifices

Commenters on the bridesmaid’s post were quick to assure her that she wasn’t overreacting to consider saying something to the couple. “If you can’t afford to feed all your guests, you either need to invite less people or have a smaller, shorter wedding,” one Facebook user wrote.

With weddings becoming more and more expensive, most couples have to make sacrifices in order to pay for the big day, but when it comes to feeding your guests, cutting food all together is never going to be a popular option. Perhaps this couple should consider finding a more affordable venue – if they don’t, there might not be any guests to worry about!

Do you think this couple are wrong to serve no food to their wedding guests? Let us know in the comments.

• RSVP: declined with thanks

• Surely a spit roast would work out to be economical and feed all the guests over the course of the day – and a grazing platter – food would probably cost less than the alcohol!

I think this is very irresponsible of the bride!

• Even if the food is very simple, there needs to be some food as it is an all day event.

• Alcohol over food…says it all, they would rather get hammered than fed! Never heard of such a thing and so glad I’ve never attended a wedding like that

• Perhaps they should have cut back the alcohol and served food. It’d be a bit much if they were still expecting gifts or money when they are giving nothing in return! I had a simple wedding in my dad’s backyard with only immediate family. My dad and I did the cooking on the day. We had a strict no gift policy.

• A bit difficult to understand. Shows a lack of appreciation to those attending your day

• I guess Il just bring my own food and not a wedding gift because this sounds like an absolute joke if you ask me. People expect gifts but don’t want to provide the goods

• If the wedding was to go all day, you think they would provide food, I can’t see everyone not eating all day.

• I have been to an all day wedding and food and drink was necessary and fun.
      Temperature is important when keeping food at safe consumption levels – it would limit what people could bring to a wedding.
      Food and drink is so festive at a wedding but it does not have to be expensive.

• If I had to provide my own food I’d be okay with that but I’d probably spend slightly less on the wedding gift.

• Wow! If it’s an all day event you need to have food, even more so if there will be alcohol.

• If it’s an all day event, they need to provide food.

• A wedding normally has food as it is tradition and with people drinking alcohol they need food!!!!

• When I married we just had a small reception in a bar, with cake and drinks. Nothing fancy. But we were there just for a couple of hours, not the all day.

• If there is alcohol it seems responsible to serve food too.

• That’s fine if it’s what you want and people know in advance so they can make other arrangements for food. Might also need to consider people drinking on an empty stomach but ultimately it’s their choice.