A cruel prankster has tried to blackmail grieving parents who lost their phone containing images of their baby girl who died just days ago.
Melbourne couple Jay and Dee Windross sadly lost their 11-month-old baby girl, Amiyah, last week after a battle fighting a terminal illness.
A woman contacted the couple claiming she had their stolen mobile phone which contained photos of their daughter but wouldn’t return it unless she was paid $1000.
Victoria police found the man and confirmed he had never been in possession of the phone.
‘Dee and I were furious, to begin with, but we’re now absolutely devastated with this news. Our hearts can’t deal with any more,’ Mr Windross told 7News.
“Through interrogation, it was found that this person wasn’t the person who had our phone. They had seen our desperate situation, seen we had no problem paying a reward and used that to their advantage. It was a hoax! Not only was it a complete and utter waste of my time, it was interrupting my final moments with my dying daughter.
“We cannot begin to explain the hurt and emptiness we are already feeling, but to get this news has just broken us even more. This is not fair. I was originally trying to find compassion for this woman and the possible situation she might be going through to take this desperate step to embezzle money, but now I am sickened that this would actually be a thought in her mind, let alone act on it.
“This lady will have her day in court tomorrow and we hope she receives the largest of punishments possible. You are a pathetic excuse of a human and you deserve what’s coming.
So, we’re back where we were. We are still desperate to find our phone as it’s still out there somewhere. Please keep sharing this around to keep the awareness out there!!”
The woman who pulled the heartless prank was identified today in Ringwood Magistrates’ Court as 24-year-old Siti Nurhidayah.
The mother of two was charged with blackmail for the attempted deception.
Springvale woman Siti Nurhidayah has appeared in court. She has wiped away tears as circumstances outlined by her lawyer as bail application made. Her husband is supporting her in court. @10NewsFirstMelb
— Annie Kearney (@anniemaykearney) April 29, 2019
The parents made a plea which went viral after the phone was stolen from Chadstone Shopping Centre on Saturday.
‘Someone has picked up Dee’s phone from a toilet next door to Target in Chadstone around 5:30pm,’ Mr Windross wrote in a Facebook post.
‘It is a Samsung Galaxy S8 with a purple cover. Our 11-month-old daughter is currently deteriorating in ICU and is in her last days with us and this phone holds all our memories of her.
‘We understand that you have either found a new phone to use, or you can sell it to make money, but please understand that this means more than money to us.’
‘No questions asked. No grudge held. We beg you as grieving parents not to wipe the phone,’ he said.
‘This phone holds the memories of what little life our daughter has had.
‘If you want the phone, we’re more than happy to arrange to meet, we’ll copy the photos off the phone and you can keep the phone. What is on the phone is worth more than anything in our life.’
‘If you have the phone, or know of its whereabouts please drop the phone off to reception at Monash Children’s Hospital or any information desk at Chadstone,’ Mr Windross said.
Our hearts go out to the grieving couple. RIP Little Amiyah x
Share your comments below