Parents are being told not to let their babies sleep in car seats at home because of the risk of them suffocating.
Researchers made the warning after reviewing around 12,000 sleep-related deaths in infants over the course of a decade.
Nearly 220 youngsters died while in car seats – but only 0.2 per cent of the deaths occurred while they were travelling in a vehicle.
More than half of car seat deaths occurred when the seat was being used at the child’s home, shares Daily Mail.
The most common cause of deaths in car seats is positional asphyxia, the team at University of Virginia Children’s Hospital warned.
It occurs when a person’s position prevents them from breathing by blocking their mouth and nose.
When a car seat is used correctly in the car, it is secured to a base at an angle where a child’s airway is open.
But when the car seat is sat on a flat surface, a child’s head can slouch forward because they have weaker neck muscles, cutting off their airways.
If the child is not repositioned soon after slouching, a lack of oxygen can result in death or brain damage, experts warn.
Experts have warned car seats must not be used as a regular sleeping device. They recommend babies are put to sleep on their back in a Moses basket or cot.
Share your comments below