On the weekend I took my toddler for her first ever haircut. As I picked up a lock of her baby hair to keep for safe keeping I thought back to all the firsts she had gone through.

People always talk about first steps or first word, but there are many others…

The first time baby sleeps through the night

Note, the BABY will sleep through the night. You? You will wake at 3am in a panic.

Something must be wrong! You lie in bed, contemplating whether to go and check on them but here’s the dilemma. If you do check on them you’ll wake them up, and it will take an age to get them back to sleep. If you don’t check on them you’ll lie awake in worry all night.

And, if you’re breastfeeding, you will then realise your boobs are about to burst so you’ll have to get up to ‘release’ them anyway. Oh, and now you need to pee. Typical.

The first trip to the supermarket

You’ve got both yourself and your baby dressed. You have a grocery list! You’ve even remembered your green reusable shopping bags.

You are feeling pretty damn pleased with yourself.

Until you get to the supermarket and realise you’ve brought your baby in the pram. There’s no way you can also push a trolley so you grab a hand basket and fill it up with the bare essentials, resigning yourself to the fact that you’re going to have to shop every day if you do it like this. It’s time to get into online grocery delivery.

Your first night away from baby

Chances are it’s going to be for a pretty big occasion like a wedding, anniversary or because someone has volunteered(!) to mind them overnight.

It’ll be fun, you say. I get to feel ‘normal’ again, you tell yourself.

Then you’ll spend half the night checking your phone to see if the sitter has called, or have a couple of drinks and end up crying because you miss your child so much.

The first time you realise you didn’t think about them

You’ve got a few hours to yourself, you’re ticking off the errands on your list, you’re getting things done at the office, perhaps you even met a friend for a coffee or had your hair cut for the first time in sixteen months.

Amazing! Now 3,2,1…. There it is. The blind panic when you break concentration from what you’re doing and suddenly think ‘Where is my child?’ It’s okay, you did drop them at daycare, I promise.

The first time YOU have to do something embarrassing for them

There’s a fine line between having a boogie with your child at the weekly community run music class and them demanding you dance with them at Carols by Candlelight.

Or when they desperately want their face painted but only if you have yours done too.

Which is fine… until you run into your boss or ex half an hour later.

The first time THEY embarrass you in public

It might be their first tantrum in the shopping mall, pointing out someone’s disability, weight, hair colour or dress sense. Or a good old fashioned bout of public urination.

One way or another, by about the age of two your child will do mortifying things that you thought only happened in the movies.

What firsts stick in your mind? Let us know in the comments below.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

Dynamo - Read The Reviews

• I like your last one of face painting!!

• So many first, I had to keep a baby journal otherwise I would forget.

• What a shame we didn’t have todays technology back then, but yes missed alot of firsts but i always remeber them to relate to the kids ( I have all he deatails written in a book for each of them.

• I missed out on recording so many firsts for both my kids. I wished I’d looked and read the baby book properly to take note of important days. I wished I noted the little things like first night away from us, first real holiday. I got the big things like first steps, smile, roll and sleep through though which I’m grateful for.

• There’s a lot to remember so camera’s are good to.

• oh this is a little sad. We did all the baby books, brag book, photos, cards, baby gifts, hospital records and had everything in a box. that all got stolen. Absolutely NO value to anyone else but us. If the thief had bothered to look in the chest, they wouldn’t have taken it. So sad that we lost all those early photos etc and i only had a few digital ones. They broke a window to get in so i recommend security bars!

• I have a special box for each of my kids, they love to look at it.

• exellent to read this

• Haha love these. First mail addressed to Bub (have kept envelope), first massive poo explosion, first plane ride, first time trying different foods.

• With my first two I wrote them all down. With my third…not so much! I’ve just printed out a few of his funny sayings and things he does so I don’t forget from when he started talking until now (4) to put in his memory box. Must do more recording!

• I remember my eldest daughter’s first haircut.
    She had long curly hair and my friend the hairdresser was almost in tears because she didn’t want to do it.(Her own daughter who was the same age – 18mths – hardly had any hair) and here was mine, locks cascading down her back and constantly in her eyes.
    Yes she cut the hair.
    It was only a fringe cut.
    And yes, I kept it.

• first time they slept the whole night was a big highlight, also when they first crawled and walk and then you wished they had never learn it that quick.

• My mum can’t remember mine or my siblings first, in fact I was showing her a photo of us playing as children, she pointed to my sister and said “who’s that other kid?”

• It’s hard to remember all the firsts for my 2 older but am going through the firsts now with my 6 month old.

• looking great