The heartbroken parents of a little boy who died within 24 hours of being discharged from Hospital finally have some answers.
The Almond family bravely listened as the coroner blamed a doctor’s mistake for their son’s needless death, reports 9 news.
Kim Almond rushed her sick 17-month-old to Shoalhaven Hospital’s emergency department on the NSW south coast during the morning of March 21, 2016.
Nurses noted a high temperature, fast heart rate and pale skin.
Three hours later he developed a rash.
Doctor Babak Tajvidi diagnosed him with a general virus, recommending paracetamol and sending him home.
But 24 hours later Troy’s condition deteriorated. He was rushed back to hospital but couldn’t be revived.
The coroner’s court found Troy died due to a failure by the treating specialist in the ED to recognise signs of toxicity caused by sepsis, to investigate the possibility of the fatal bacterial illness and administer antibiotics.
“I just want to offer our sincere condolences to the family of Troy Almond,” Brad Scotch from the Illawarra Shoalhaven Health District said.
Our thoughts are with the family x
Share your comments below