Planning a road trip with kids? Well, in that case, be prepared to lose your sanity as you encounter the questions ‘ Are we there yet?’ or ‘How long is it going to take us to reach there?’, that keep barging in from the rear seat.
A little preparation before the trip would definitely save your sanity and help make your trip memorable and pleasurable for all.
It is actually tasking to travel with the bored and unhappy back seat passengers.
Bargaining your kids to wait little longer for food, dealing with their crying and fighting, looking at the rearview mirror, all this distracts you from driving smoothly and might result in some mishappening.
Here are a few easy road trip activity ideas for kids & toddlers that helped me immensely throughout the long-haul car ride with my kids:
- Let The Kids Pack Their Own Bags: I always allow them to carry small picnic bags of their own and fill them with whatever toys they want. Usually girls prefer to carry their favorite dolls and its accessories and boys fill it with their superhero toys, small car etc. Place it near their car seat to have easy access.
- Keep Lots Of Activity Books: Whenever we plan a road trip with kids, I make sure to stuff the bags with lots of activity books. You can chose from a lot of travel activity books available in the market offering a wide range of activities such as puzzles, quiz, games etc. It will definitely help keep your toddler busy for hours.
- Consider Buying Your Kids Their Own Inexpensive Cameras: My kids are more than happy clicking pictures on way. They even enjoy clicking pictures of each other in the car and spend a lot of time fidgeting with its settings. It also creates their interest in photography which can later on be developed as favorite pastime or hobby.
- Travelling Gifts: One of the most effective ways to keep your kids happy and curious throughout the journey is keeping small inexpensive gifts to be given every hour in the car. These gifts may include I spy books, small toys, chocolates, stickers, small craft materials etc.
- Let Your Kids Become A Navigator: For my 8 year old, I hand her the road map and printed directions and tell her to become our navigator. It helps in keeping her alert and active throughout the trip and at the same time boosts her confidence.
- Load Your Tab With Lots Of Games: Carrying a tab or I pad fully loaded with your kids’ favorite games is an excellent idea to keep them busy throughout the trip. It works well with my kids. Set the time limit for each kid so that they do not fight for their turn eg. Fifteen minutes for each one. In the mean time others can help him or indulge in some other activity.
- Make A Travel Treat box: It is a good idea to treat kids when they travelled. Prepare separate treat boxes for each kid with their names written on it. Fill it with their favorite snacks and candies. Make them clear that it will not be refilled during the trip and they can finish as fast as they can or take their own time.
- Rubik’s Cube: My eight year old daughter loves to solve Rubik’s cube and it keeps her super busy for hours. It is easy to carry and an inexpensive way of keeping your kids engrossed. I always keep it while travelling.
- Carry A Mini Whiteboard For Your Toddler: My four year old loves writing on whiteboard. So I always carry a small whiteboard for her along with erasable markers of different colors. She enjoys making and erasing drawings. It can also be used to play games.
Try making use of these simple and easy ideas to make travelling an interesting and pleasant experience for your kids.
Don’t forget to have your child safety seat inspected by a certified technicians like Roadworthy Certificate Glen Waverley. Apart from keeping the kids happy, they will allow you to pay more attention on driving making your journey much safer.