If you are about to move, you may be struggling with whether or not to get the property professionally cleaned or DIY.

It is normal to have doubts since professional end of lease cleaning can be somewhat costly. Everything depends on your personal situation and how bad a condition your home is in.

If you have no time and it’s looking pretty awful, then you should go for a professional service. Often you need to spend a little to save more and this is definitely the case when it comes to receiving your bond back at 100%.

If it’s not too unacceptable, it could be an achievable goal for you to do it in a day or two. Organisation is the key.

DIY cleaning

Be careful not to underestimate the hard work required. Keep in mind that regardless of what the landlord wants you are only required to clean to the standard it was when you moved in.

In most residential tenancy agreements a steam cleaning of carpets is required. This is one area where you are helpless.

Leaving aside carpets, there are lots of things you can clean on your own.

Start your move out cleaning with these valuable tips:

• Make a list of all the activities and places you have to clean
  • Have a master plan and clean the rooms one by one, don’t get stuck on one thing for hours
  • Place a time limit on each room so that you’re working against the clock
  • It’s easier and quicker when you have all your things already moved out
  • See if you can get some help from neighbours or friends

Benefits Of Professional End Of Lease Cleaning

End of lease cleaning is much more demanding than your typical clean.

You’re often dealing with fixtures and appliances that have never been cleaned. Some real estate agents need proof that the place is cleaned professionally so make sure your cleaning company provides you with a tax receipt.

It is a good idea to ask your householder/real estate agent if they have a preferred company, as this can make getting your bond back a lot easier.

If you are on a tight budget and perhaps can’t afford to engage a company which, provides an expert level of end of lease cleaning. An option could be to share this issue with your occupier. You can explain to him/her you would like the bond back so you can hire a cleaning service. They might be more likely to release the bond if experts will clean the property.

End of lease cleaners work smarter. They are familiar with what real estate agents and landlords are looking for and make sure they deliver on this.

Some householders can refuse to return your full bond back if not satisfied with the condition of the property.  The good news is, most cleaning companies will come back to fix the problem free of charge.

A professional end of lease clean lets you concentrate on your move and new home without being dragged back to your old one to clean it.

A blend of your own effort and a professional cleaning company is also a good option for end of lease cleaning.

It depends on the property – for carpeted areas professional cleaning will be a must, but for the other areas – it’s up to you whether to work on your own cleaning check list, or employ someone to do it for you.

Do you have any tips for end of lease cleaning; feel free to share your experiences below.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

• I always used to do it all myself, except for the carpets.

• i am a professional cleaner and do bond cleans, the best advise i can give is try to do the majority of the work yourself,like 1 night wipe off dirty marks from the walls, next night move washing machine and fridge clean behind, next night clean your rangehood and oven, the are some good oven cleaners out there that don’t smell and you only have to leave on for 30mins,next night if you have carpets get a good stiff broom and go around the wall edges to release the carpet balls, clean the overhead fans if you have any, then vacum,next night empty cupboads and clean, so when you get a quote from the pro you point out what you have done the less time they have to spend doing your place the less you have to pay

• This is really practical advice! Thank you!

• We are moving in a few weeks, was debating on what to do if we clean or get someone else to clean. I guess it could be a fair few hundred by the time they spend a good day or 2 here. Thinking about getting a gardener also just to neaten it all up before the final inspection. It depends how hot it’s going to be as we are moving in Jan

• it is safer with cleaners, most of them offer free re-clean within the first 48 hours, so your bond is safe! With you doing the cleaning there is always a chance your landlord will notice and hold back a huge chunk of your bond money!

• I would much prefer to pay for someone to clean it and I just go with the landlord’s preferred cleaner.as long as they are price competitive.

• I have learnt it is better to hire someone the estate agents use themselves, then it is someone they like and know. We have been lucky in that the last two times we have just told the agent they clean it and take it out of the bond. Less stress on myself and things are done the way they want and I do not have to find the money to pay the professionals.

• I have done my own cleaning at all my properties, whether they be owned or leased. It’s a case of being very organised, having a proper list of items needing special attention like light fittings and exhaust fans, giving yourself the right tools and cleaners, and not getting stressed by things you can’t change.
    Don’t forget that most properties must allow for general wear and tear, meaning some things break from age and not from usage however frequent that might be.
    Keep the inspection report you filled out when you moved in! If you don’t have it, ask the agent for a copy as you don’t need to fix stuff that they didn’t fix either!
    Microfibre cloths save you heaps of money and mess too. You can get them for all types of surfaces. I also use a steam mop/carpet cleaner which converts to do windows and kitchen appliances. It has saved me bucket loads of money since I got it!

• Ive always found that doing one room at a time works wonderfully or having a day for cleaning windows. Just one thing per day or you become overwhelmed.

• I guess it is just personal preference.

• Good hints and tips here. Interesting article on some things I have not thought of.

• this is the way to go

• My husband and I just finished cleaning the house that we are moving into. It was a mess and took three full days to clean. The vendor is lucky that she wasn’t expecting bond money back!

• The last time we rented the agent asked for the cleaners number as he had never seen it done so well. it was all me and he was happy

• I’d say get it done professionally if you can afford it, otherwise ask a bunch of family and friends over and have a big working bee (then return the favour!)

• When my mum-in -law was moving from her unit into the hostel my family and my-sister-in-laws family worked for days cleaning the unit. The hardest part was the kitchen and bathroom but we succeeded, and ended up having it spotless but found out days later that they guttered the bathroom and kitchen and put in new ones they also repainted etc. We sort of thought what a waste of our time.

• Pretty much the same happened to me in my last move. But I felt satisfied that I made that place spotlessly clean.

• I’ve done DYI and also professional cleaning. When I DYI it, the real estate actually complimented me on the clean! LOL!