Fair Trading have discovered some Christmas decorations that could electrocute you or even set your house alight.
Inspectors are calling on hundreds of retailers before Christmas, checking Christmas lights, decorations, electrical wiring and plugs.
They have uncovered some imported products that pose serious hazards.
Made from highly flammable artificial plants, this Christmas candleholder (seen below) could burn your house down, shares 7 news.
“We don’t want to see people injured or hurt this Christmas,” NSW Minister for Fair Trading Matt Kean said.
Another decoration was a set of lights with one broken bauble.
“This one’s dangerous, throw it away” – advice from Fair Trading executive director Lynelle Collins.
Submitting your rating…
“One of the bulbs here is broken, exposing live electrical parts. Bad electrical connections can kill if touched, or in contact with metal surfaces, like a patio or garage.”
Recently Chinese power adaptors were seized and removed from sale because they don’t meet Australian safety standards and could be very dangerous.
“Look for the Australian plug with the insulated pins,” Ms Collins said.
“You can see there is a bit of colour on the end, and the approval number on the back of the power supply.”
If your decorations have been used for a few seasons, it’s advisable to check the power cord is not frayed or cut, and the globe sockets and plugs are intact.
Share your comments below