Toddler swallows toy, narrowly escaped causing fatal damage to his wind pipe.

The three-year-old boy needed urgent surgery to remove part of the toy from his oesophagus, or wind pipe, reports Daily Mail.

Doctors revealed he escaped without permanent injury, or death – despite having a circuit board and button battery stuck in his food pipe.

Consultants in Dallas claimed it to be the world’s first case of a toddler swallowing a circuit board and disc battery from a fidget spinner.

‘To our knowledge, this study is the first to report fidget spinner as a source for circuit board and disc battery ingestion.

‘Furthermore, ingestion of a circuit board with an attached button battery has not been documented in children.’

The boy was taken to University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center two hours after he swallowed the fidget spinner’s circuit board and battery.

Surgeons removed the circuit board and battery. They revealed it had been in the boy’s body for four hours.

fidget spinner

Last year a safety investigation has been launched into the novelty items ‘fidget spinners’ following reports of injuries and concerns about some models which contain button batteries. Read more here.

Share your comments below.

 


  • I hope the little guy has had a full recovery

    Reply


  • Wow. How did he get them down?

    Reply


  • Scary!!

    Reply


  • don’t parents teach kids anymore not to put everything in their mouths?

    That was the number one thing I remember from raising my own two girls was being very conscious of teaching them that only food goes in their mouths nothing else.

    I am glad that this little boy was saved in time and hopefully he has learnt not to put things in his mouth anymore that isn’t food.

    Reply


  • Another story about a little person and objects that just should just not go into a mouth. Scary for them!


    • It will be interesting to read about the outcome of the study into fidget spinners.

    Reply


  • How scary !! Glad he was operated in time !

    Reply


  • fidget spinners are bad news and this just proves it even more. They are dangerous toys!

    Reply


  • I hope this young lad will be okay.

    Reply


  • I didn’t think that fidget spinners had batteries in them! I hope he is ok.

    Reply


  • Almost any toy could be a choking hazard. Simply don’t give toys with small parts to any child who can’t keep them out of their mouth.

    Reply


  • How on earth did he manage to swallow a fidget spinner?! They’re not little. I’ve bought a couple, none with batteries tho

    Reply


  • Glad it wasn’t fatal for the young boy.

    Reply


  • My son wanted one of these. Glad I didn’t get one now.

    Reply


  • Fortunately the craze for these seems to be abating.

    Reply


  • Yes, there are so many concerns about these fidget spinners. Better to avoid them, in particular around small kids.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join