Firefighters are warning parents to be careful where they are stashing these cheeky little elves.

One family’s Elf on the Shelf almost burned down their home.

The Dublin Fire Brigade shared a scary photo of the scorched toy for an important reason.

“Close one for this #ElfOnAShelf after she ended up on a lamp,” they captioned the photo.

700x150 mom xmas comp in article banner

“The Elf resisted heat for 40 minutes. Keep all decorations away from heat.”

Parents be careful where you stash Santa’s little Elf!

Share your comments below



in article banner sproket article (1)


  • That’s a bit scary! I will keep this in mind!

    Reply


  • Good idea to get these reminders.

    Reply


  • Common sense should tell you not to put something near anything that can get hot or near electrical items.

    Reply


  • What a scary thought. Trying to put some more fun into Christmas but accidently setting something on fire instead. Luckily the elf was found in time.

    Reply


  • Ooh, what an interesting reminder. We’ve never done the Elf but obviously a timely warning.

    Reply


  • Safety first, do not leave anything near hot or naked flames. Lights do heat up so not a good thing to do. No lights are used inside on the tree, as they are not watched all the time and with the decorations a fire hazard.

    Reply


  • We live in a stupid time.

    Reply


  • To be honest, I don’t even have Christmas lights ! Too dangerous for my youngest.

    Reply


  • Parents do have to be aware of lights overheating and elves being placed in wrong positions.

    Reply


  • It’s also the time of year to remember christmas tree lights.. especially those that you’ve had for a few years as the older ones get hotter and can easily ignite plastic trees etc. I imagine even the cheaper ones today are bad. Every year the CFS has incidents caused by christmas lights left on. PLus I witnessed a meltdown first hand myself a few years ago when we took some to decorate a rental property. They weren’t even on a tree, just hanging on some banisters but had got hot, melted and started to singe when we returned. Dread to think what would have happened if left even longer.

    Reply


  • It’s common sense really though not to put anything on a light or near a light where it could fall and get hot/cause a fire. I guess some people just need to be reminded on these things

    Reply


  • Glad I don’t put them next to our on anything like that.

    Reply


  • I’ve never had an Elf on the Shelf. But good to be thoughtful where we place out flammable items.

    Reply


  • I am sick of elf on the shelf popping up on my fb page, drives me nuts!


    • Me too! I already have a little person who gets up to mischief and makes mess in the house, I don’t need another one lol

    Reply


  • Eek. I already find that elf so creepy without it catching on fire. People get so caught up in trying to make the scene more creative each time that they sometimes forget about being sensible.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join