A second $100 “Active Kids rebate” can now be claimed to pay for each school aged child who engages in sport or swimming lessons.

In the 2017 NSW budget it was decided that the active kids rebate will be offered in the form of a voucher to be claimed annually from January 1 to reduce the cost of sport registration or membership fees for after-school and weekend sport.

NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet, described the measure as “the soul of the budget” and said it was about achieving one of the Premier’s priority targets of reducing childhood obesity by five per cent over the next 10 years.

The active kids rebate is “$100 to get our kids involved and get them active.”

Did you know you can claim a SECOND rebate?

This year, the first voucher was available to claim in January. A second voucher will be available via MyService NSW on 1 July 2019. Both vouchers expire on 31 December 2019. (further details here)

In the first 18 months of the program, more than 1 million vouchers were redeemed and $100 million saved in fees and sports registration costs.

NSW Treasurer Dominic Perrottet said these household savings have contributed to a spike in registrations across NSW.

“The NSW Government is doing everything we can to help ease the cost of living for families, and by adding a second $100 voucher we hope to see parents being able to keep their kids active all year-round,” Mr Perrottet said.

Minster for Sport John Sidoti said another voucher for kids is another win for families in NSW.

“Just as the second Active Kids voucher provides even greater opportunity for children to participate in sport and active recreation, it reduces costs for hard working families,” Mr Sidoti said.

While we do believe this second rebate is only available in NSW there are various rebates available for other states. Conditions do apply for different states.

Find info for your state below

NSW Kids active rebate

QLD Get Started vouchers

NT sports vouchers

WA KidSport

SA sports vouchers

TAS ticket to play rebate

Have you claimed your rebate yet?

Share your comments below.

Did you also know you can claim a rebate for “Creative Kids” in 2019 as well?

• Wow I didn’t know there was such a thing, how awesome! I wish they had something for Victorians, it would really help me.

• this should be available to kids across all states in Australia, I’m in Victoria and this would be a huge huge help!! I don’t understand why it’s not available throughout Australia.

• I really wish this was available in all States. I live in Victoria (right on the NSW border) but my kids attend a NSW school and lots of NSW sports/activities but because our residential address is VIC we aren’t entitled to it. I think its great for families that maybe wouldn’t be able to afford sports otherwise.

• While this is a great idea, why don’t all states do the same thing.

• Great initiative ! Wonder if it’s already implemented in NSW ? Anyone claimed it already ?

• Not relevant to my state.

• Typical, my state isn’t involved in this.

• great initiative even though it is only available in one state

• What an excellent idea to help families pay for The costs of sports. Such a shame it’s not offered in victoria though ????????

• It could be a great help for parents who struggle to cope with sports fees such as lessons and in some cases compulsory uniform or equipment.

• It looks like there may be some motivation there, interesting to see what happens with ACT, VIC and TAS now.

• Hmmm, I’m not sure. I’ve never had a problem with my child and sport so I can’t really relate. However, throwing money at people to get kids into sport seems to me not about educating but a bandaid to the problem.

• The only thing is that parents might make their child do sport that they don’t want to do. It is a good idea for the kids that want to do sport though.

• Great initiative ! It certainly will stimulate a certain parent group to get their kids moving.

• I think it’s a good incentive and will most certainly help my family out since I have four kids on a part time wage.