Sick of being smothered? Kill those pop-ups once and for all.
One of the most irritating Internet-related situations I’ve found myself in is being bombarded by a mountain of pop-up ads while trying to access a link on a website. No matter where I seem to click, a new pop-up ad appears! Even an attempt to close down existing ads is met with more and more new pop-ups on my screen. Now, I know I’m not the only one who’s been through this. Almost every website on the Internet is riddled with hidden pop-up ads… But fret not! Here’s what you can do to make it better.
FOR CHROME USERS
Download a Chrome Extension called “AdBlock”. It’s totally free, and it will help to block the vast majority of potential pop-up ads on any site. Here’s how you download it:
- Open up Google Chrome, and click on the 3-bar icon on the top right-hand corner of your browser.
- Hover your mouse over “More Tools”, and then click on “Extensions”.
- This will redirect you to the Chrome Extensions page. Scroll down and click on “Get more extensions”.
- You will then be directed to the Chrome Web Store. In the top left-hand corner, you will see a search bar. Type “AdBlock” into this search bar and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Search results will be given. You’ll want to scroll down until you see this result:
- Click on “ADD TO CHROME”.
- A notification will appear at the top of your screen, asking you for confirmation. Click “Add extension”.
- Done! The AdBlock icon will now appear next to the 3-bar icon on the top right-hand corner of your browser screen.
You can click on this icon to adjust your adblock settings. For example, if you want to allow a certain webpage to send you pop-ups, click on “Pause AdBlock” or “Don’t run on this page”. You would want to do this if the adblock is preventing you from accessing a link that you actually want to pop up on your screen!
FOR OTHER WEB BROWSER USERS
Similarly, download the AdBlock extension. You can do this by following the links below:
Now you can enjoy surfing the web without worrying about drowning under a sea of annoying pop-ups!
Do pop-up ads annoy you? Will you try the blocking software? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.