I have dreaded the time when our boys would start to ask this question.

It really amazes me that they still believe In Santa (at 11, our oldest boys age, I certainly didn’t)….although they are quite puzzled by what the other children say.

Just tonight Mr 11 was telling me that his friend at boarding school knows his Mum just buys his presents and that he thinks that Santa isn’t true. Then came the question….”Is he true Mum?”…now, I don’t like to fib, but this is a tricky one.

The answer that fell out of my mouth was ‘what do you believe?’ We then had a discussion about believing in things we can’t see….heaven help his religion teacher next year, he’ll probably bring up Santa as a fine example of believing!!

He concluded he knows Santa is real but the Tooth Fairy is not!!

One downside to boarding school – he told me he left his tooth in a cup for a fortnight beside his bed and nothing happened – darn!

To me the true magic of Christmas disappears once you know Santa is not real, because until then you are breathless with excitement at the thought of his appearance, you can’t wait to leave out the beer and carrots, and each year you will try to stay awake to catch a glimpse of him…..

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS!!  I hope Santa finds you…..

Wendy

www.OutbackGrowthClub.wordpress.com

Main image courtesy of Shutterstock.com

• I wish i still believed it Santa. My Husband never did and I try to explain to him why I think thats so Sad for him.

• I agree. Though I would probably explain to my kids that Santa was in fact a real person who lived a very long time ago and gave presents to children in his town. This is where we get the idea of giving to people and believing in the magic that is Christmas.

• I am dreading the day i get asked this question and hope it isnt for a very long time

• I am not looking forward to this happening to me. But I guess it will and I will need to answer. I just hope they believe in santa for a long time yet. I love being santa.

• Totally agree with you here Wendy, to me the magic of Christmas is in the belief of Santa with our children

• Oh broke \/ here bellow my bost
    What a wonderful idea to let them down slow
    Ill surely use that one

• My eldest asked last year if santa was real as the kids at school said that he is not and I answered that Santa only leaves you presents if you believe like in the movies so it is up to you if you still believe or not otherwise you only ge presents from your family instead of santa presents

• I think they should be allowed to believe for as long as they want, my six year old was very disappointed when an older cousin took it upon herself to tell her that Santa and the Tooth Fairy weren’t real :(

• My 10 1/2 year old still believes which I think is adorable. I’m dreading the day she doesn’t, I just hope she doesn’t say anything in front of her younger sister.

• this is such a hard topic my son was young as the not so nice kids at schooldecided to tell my baby in year one that he wasnt realbut my daughter is nearly 6 and going strong im hoping she lasts so much longer as she just loooves santa and i dont want anyone ruining it for her

• My nearly eleven year old is really doubting the truth and keeps questioning in front of her 7 year old sister. I sat her down and simply said ” Whether you believe or not is entirely up to you, if you don’t believe you lose the magic of Christmas and please make sure you keep that magic alive for your little sister.”

• I think it’s a worthy little white lie. It’s just too sweet to tell them he doesn’t exist. Let them enjoy it while it lasts I say :)

• We dont do santa or easter bunny in our family. Honest woth kids and tell them what they are. Doesnt ruin the ocassions at all

• Santa along with the easter bunny are the best little white lies I could ever tell my children.

• I’m enjoying it while it last. That along with the easter bunny. It’s such a beautiful innocent time.