One woman has sparked a bit of an online debate after asking for ideas for her stove top. She certainly never expected this reaction!

Sharing in a Kmart group for ideas and hacks the young woman asked for ideas to cover her stove top.

“Can I please see ideas of what people have to cover their stoves? Needing some inspiration for mine.”

When asked why she would want to cover it the young woman replied she rarely used it and just wanted to cover it over to prevent dust and create some extra space. The woman also clarified she has no children so there is no danger involved.

She added, “I live in a small granny flat, I don’t have kids and I hardly use it, I don’t see why there’s a problem if I, myself, am choosing to cover it if I don’t use it.”

The comments of judgement and disdain soon started flooding in…

“I don’t use mine all that often… but I’ve never been concerned about it collecting dust… I’ve never seen a stove cover, and never seen a dusty stove…”

“Just seems really, really dangerous to me!”

“It’s a working appliance and can catch fire if improperly ignited!”

“That’s Such a fire hazard?”

Meanwhile some comments were actually quite helpful suggesting the woman get a wooden chopping board to sit on it similar to below.

stop top 2 stop top 3 stove top

Do you think it is too dangerous to store things on top of your stove top or do you do something similar?

Share your comments below

Read more:

image via unsplash

• A lot of stoves in caravans have tops to use for other things. You have to remove it before you can put anything on to cook. My electric cooktop at home has a lock on it which you have to push on very hard to release. You have to push fairly hard on the on, off spot to switch it on too. There is also a power switch on the wall which “blocks” the electricity when it is switched off. It works for both the cooktop and the wall oven.

• If she wants a cover, she should, she was asking for ideas

• I recall having a glass cover on our stove at my parent’s home that was part of the stove s covering a stove is not a new thing. Surely if the cover provides some form of a seal or coverage there will be limited oxygen and no oxygen = no fire.

• I too remember that some stoves came with a metal lid. I don’t see this as dangerous at all and it would certainly provide more bench space.

• I remember seeing lids on stoves particularly in older homes.

• i remember my nanna always having a metal cover on top of hers. I’ve never been told (or bothered to look) into why this could have been dangerous.

• When she doesn’t use the stove top it shouldn’t be dangerous. I remember my mum’s stove top came with a metal lid.

• Dangerous… maybe. If she’s not using it and has no kids then I think she can do what she wants. Haters going to hate. Doesn’t deserve the comments.

• Dangerous yes but she doesn’t have kids and it’s her choice

• Stove covers used to be standard back in the day. The covers were actually attached to the stove. I would have suggested finding a piece of wood to cover it also. Don’t see how it’s a fire hazard if she doesn’t use the stove. I’m fairly certain she would remove the cover before turning it on. Also I’ve lived in a small apartment. The bench was big enough for a 2 slice toaster and a small kettle. So it’s not uncommon to want more space

• we have a stupid ceramic top stove, it gets turned off at the power point as I have young kids but i use it as extra bench space all the time, we have poorly placed power points so either use it as a bench top or have extension cords running everywhere. At my work we have a cover that matches the benchtops covering the stove and it is used as extra space as well. Just don’t be stupid and there won’t be a preblem

• Seems quite over the top to receive so much crap over something so simple. She’s clearly thought about it, has evaluated risk & just wants to utilise space. I say have at it just be smart about it. These tactics are used in caravans & campers, why not in the home?

• We turn our stove top off at the switch board. Saves our kids accidentally turning it on and either burning themselves or something that may be too close to it at the time. And then just flick the switch back on when we do use it. Quite simple really.

• I have seen covers before and some of the ones in the article/photo look quite good.

• Great idea. It’s surprising how much more bench space you gain.

• I think it looks really good in all the photos.