Hi mums, has anyone here got a allergy to penicillin? My 3yo son has tonsillitis (first time) and he got prescribed 3.5ml twice a day for ten days. Today was his second day taking it. Tonight he has broke out with a rash on his face and has a bad headache/throwing up. Could this be a symptom? I’m going to try get him into the dr tomorrow!


Dynamo - Read The Reviews


Posted anonymously, 9th September 2014


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


Ask your question

  • Yes l have the same reaction a red rash and feeling very un-well.



  • Definitely get medical advice with urgency.



  • Always go straight to A&E when a suspected allergic reaction occurs – can never be to cautious!



  • Definitely sounds like an allergy. The doctor will be able to confirm for sure. I would stop using it until you have seen the doctor though.



  • Symptoms are the same as my penicillin allergy.



  • My daughter is allergic to it she had a rash, vomiting and then her throat started to swell



  • that’s amazing though to be allergic. at least they have alternatives



  • how did you go with bub?



  • My daughter had an allergic reaction to it as a baby, just an angry red rash, but my grandmother had an allergic reaction to it twice, and was told the next time she had Penicillin it could be fatal. Would definitely check with the Dr, glad you are going to go! Be careful and aware allergies are very dangerous!



  • If in doubt call the local hospital (they’ll probably tell you to bring them in) as any allergic reaction can be life threatening. DO NOT WAIT TO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION.



  • It could be a reaction and if it is then it could be life threatening …seriously.
    being allergic to Penicillin is serious….My Mum was allergic.
    Contact the Doctor ASAP. Better to be safe then sorry.



  • Please don\’t wait until tomorrow. I would be getting a home doctor ( phone Home Doctor Service) or getting to your nearest hospital. Allergies shouldn\’t ever be taken lightly. Good luck!



  • Please ring your Doctors clinic to see if you can speak to a nurse. This may be a reaction to antibiotic or a sign that illness is getting worse. I wouldn’t wait until tomorrow for my child.



  • Sounds like it to me. My niece is allergic to penicillin and had a similar reaction. My daughter was allergic to rulide (antibiotic and had similar reaction as well as fainting.) Best to get back to doctor asap.



  • Yep. Stop the meds and go to the doctor. My youngest did the same thing. She had a reaction within 2hrs of taking her first dose.


Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join