Whenever I have a block of cheese that starts going mouldy around edges I’m never sure whether to cut it off or throw it all away? What do other mums do?


Posted by sanjipanj, 18th March 2014


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


Ask your question

  • I just cut the mouldy edges off. That’s what my mum did and my mother in law too. None of us died yet….



  • I just cut it off. Not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat.But in general it depends on the type of cheese.
    Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese and cream cheese, that grow mould should be discarded. With these cheeses, the mould can send root threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mould. The same goes for any kind of cheese that’s shredded, crumbled or sliced.
    Mould generally can’t penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as Cheddar, Colby Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least one inch around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mould itself so that it doesn’t contaminate other parts of the cheese.



  • I would definitely throw it out!



  • I cut it off and use the unaffected cheese, make sure you wrap block of cheese in cling wrap in fridge to keep air tight which stops mould or cheese going hard. No ill effect and been doing it for years. The choice is yours



  • I definitely throw it in the bin.



  • I would discard as you don’t know if the fungi/bacteria as started to spread across the cheese even though it may appear invisible.



  • I cut it off. My mum used to cut it off. So did my mother in law. If the cheese is tasting funky though, I would toss it, don’t eat it if it tastes wrong



  • If it is soft cheese then the spores have most likely infiltrated the whole segment of cheese. It is advisable to discard. If the cheese is hard, you can cut off the mould and enjoy.



  • My mum and mother in law always cut it off and no one died. I cut it off if it’s not too bad. What I usually do is buy the economical cheese blocks and cut them into smaller ones and freeze the. Much less wastage this way



  • Yep. My mum used to cut any mouldy bits off and I do the same.



  • I just chop it off if its on tasty.
    If its just the corner or something I dont think it would be too bad on a hard cheese.



  • i never have cheese long enough to get to that stage



  • The harder, drier cheeses are fine if you cut the mould off but for the softer cheeses it is safer to throw them away.



  • Eeewww, I throw it away, I couldn’t eat it even if I cut the mould off, just the thought of it turns my stomach.



  • It depends on how much mould. Is its just a small amount then I just cut a chunk off but also if it smell funny I toss it. Interesting that one comment from one MoMmy who’s husband works in cheese factory. They just cut it of therefore it must be ok


Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join