Apart from squirting water out of squirty bath toys after use, does anyone have advice on how to clean these and keep them mould free for longer?


Posted anonymously, 5th March 2015


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


Topics:
Ask your question

  • I tried my best to keep bath toys mold free but in the end I would throw them out and buy new ones.



  • Vinegar to wash them, squeeze as much water out as possible and out in the sun to dry out! You can probably buy bath toys that don’t squirt.



  • I loved the days when my kids were young toddlers and they had so much fun in the bath and was quite amusing watching them. We used to get a lot of bath toys as presents and they never used to mould at all and we only have a small bathroom with a window. What I used to do is put them on the side of the bath and airdry them and if they are sponge toys squeeze all the water out as much as you can . They dried very quickly and never moulded whatsoever . Perhaps check your roof ventilation as it maybe another issue and not the toys …



  • I was thinking of soaking in bleach but vinegar sounds like a much better idea.



  • I’ve been told that soaking in white vinegar works well and us also harmless for the child later



  • When you buy them silicon or super glue them up so no water can get in



  • thanks for asking this question we had this problem recently. Even squirting the water out, they stay wet inside. There are non squirty bath toys available so I’m a little confused why people are buying these ones and then gluing the holes so they don’t squirt? Vinegar kills mould so I think I’ll be doing that also



  • When mould builds up use exit mould spray on them. This will be instant.
    However rinse them out thoroughly with warm soapy water from the exit mould and leave in sun to dry before putting back to use.



  • Squirt the water out of them and try to dry them .No water sitting there , no mould.



  • I’d be to afraid to use the glue as what if the child may decide to pull it out & pop it in their mouth… I’d be questioning what chemicals are in the product.. I’ve had our toys for almost 3 years now & have always squeezed the out every time. It is only now they are starting to go mouldy.



  • I agree with what CRYSTALANGELA said….I was going to suggest using Milton also.



  • If you don’t water to get in them at all put some hot glue into the hole at the bottom. That will stop anything getting in.
    Toys that are already yucky, soak in a Milton solution and make sure that it gets inside. When clean and dry, glue up.
    If they are meant to squirt water, then you need to empty them every time.



  • Soak in Milton’s solution for 24hrs. Make sure you suck the solution up into the squirty toys



  • 1/2 fill a bucket with hot water, add about 1-2 cups of vinegar and soak the toys in that for at least half an hour. if they are sucky toys suck up some of the mix before adding them to the bucket. Should scrub off easily. Bleach does NOT kill mould spores, it just bleaches them. Mould is a bad trigger for asthma too.



  • I squeeze every toy out after each bath, pack them in a hanging net bag on the side of the bath and once a week give them a quick soak in white vinegar and hot water….


Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join