My 8 year old son still wets the bed nearly every night. I have tried the Minirin nose spray and the tablets without success. Have also tried a bedwetting alarm which did work for a while but then he had a reaction on his skin where the sensor would touch. We have also tried getting him up before we go to bed. I am getting to my wits end!!!


Posted anonymously, 7th January 2014


Want more real mum questions sent to you?


Ask your question

  • My sister wet the bed until she was 11, she needed a bladder stretch to overcome this. He may have a little bladder and be a deep sleeper. Maybe try leaving a night light on in his room so when he stirs the light may wake him to go



  • My brothers we quite late with their bet wetting and my mother tried all sorts of things and eventually it just in both cases seemed to right itself. I would visit a paediatrician via referral from a GP to get to the bottom of it if you think there could be an underlying issue. Also they are often in the know in terms if specialising people in this field and may be able to refer you on . Good luck



  • Maybe speak to a gp so you could take him to a specialist who might be able to come up with ideas that you haven’t thought of yet. My five year old son is still wetting the bed, I have no idea how he can sleep covered in his own urine and we have tried the cutting out drink I have even gotten up through out the to take him to the toilet to only find him already wet. I am hoping he will grow out of it soon or we will have to look for alternatives as well.



  • Bed wetting has been linked to sleep apnoea and also having joints and bones out of alignment
    Try getting tonsils and adenoids checked and visit a chiropractor
    Good luck!



  • My son wet the bed up to 11. Every child is different, he received counselling & it helped but this was to do with not seeing his father that much. I hope it works out for you, it can be very frustrating, I recall changing sheets 3 times a night with little sleep :)



  • Oh yeah I forgot to add that I made her drink a lot of extra water through the day, to train her bladder to hold more.



  • Bed wetting alarms are meant to be great – I know several people who have used and they say it takes about two weeks for them to break the cycle of wetting. With my eldest I was in the process of buying the alarm, if after 4 weeks the following did not work. I would make her go to the toilet before bed, then when I went to bed at about 10.30/11 I would pick her up and put her on the toilet again, then I would set the alarm for around 3am and take her again, after two weeks I cut out the 3am, and then a couple of weeks later I dropped the 11pm. First week she was hit and miss with wetting the bed but in 6 weeks she eventually stopped wetting all together. I thought we would never get there but we did. The alarm probably would have worked quicker but I was trying to save money. I know you can also hire them – hope this helps.



  • have him see a specialist or talk to your dr, he could have a small bladder or a urinary infection



  • Reduce drink water one hour before bed time and using bed sheet protector in the bed. This is my mum did. Hope it can help.



  • i wet the bed as a kid p until about 8 or 9. there can be lots of different reasons why its happening. my mum took me to a specialist and they sent us home with a bed alarm.. it worked!



  • Put a waterproof mattress protector on the bed, limit drinks after a certain time, perhaps wake him up just before he usually wets the bed if there is an approximate time and lastly find out if there is something worrying him. A lot of times it’s not a physical problem. Please relax because it won’t help him or you. Good luck.



  • A friend of mines 8 year old daughter has the same problem and they have just seen their GP and commenced on some kind of medication that can supposedly help. Maybe speak to your GP?



  • My Brother was a late bed wetter and I was only a child too at the time but I know my parents started up a chart where they would get him up at certain intervals to go to the toilet and it worked and eventually he slept through without wetting himself.



  • If you call your general hospital and ask to be put through to the urology department and she if they have something that might be able to help your son. I did that with my daughter and they had class’s that we attended and stuff.



  • I have just had wonderful success with the Queenscliffe Community Health Clinic Eurology department. Give them a call on (02) 94662500 and speak with Rosie. The program involves drinking more water during the day to train the bladder muscles as well as a personal bed-wetting alarm at night that doesn’t touch the skin. My nearly 7 year old was night dry in about 8 weeks. Good luck. I understand how frustrated you must be and also your poor little child.


Post an answer
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

What is your answer to that question?
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your answer and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join