A desperate mum has shared her frustration after her mother-in-law continually refuses to spell her daughter’s name correctly.

A mum has asked other parents what she should do about her mother-in-law who has refused to spell her daughter’s name correctly for almost four years The Sun reports.

The mum says that the misspelling is no accident and that her mother-in-law wastes no opportunity to use it, with her husband hesitant to confront his mum about the issue.

Just Getting Worse

Despite the couple correcting the misspelling when it appears, things appear to be getting worse.

“Our daughter is nearly four and we called her a name with more than one correct spelling,” the mum said.

“My mother-in-law made it clear from the beginning that she didn’t like the spelling we used and that she thinks that it is wrong. Every time we see her, she brings it up, time after time.”

The mum says that it has got to a point where her mother-in-law is making a deliberate effort to prove her point about the name.

“Her latest trick is to give my daughter lots of presents and address it all to her with the misspelling.”

Not Acceptable

Comments on the mum’s story pointed out the selfishness of her mother-in-law’s behaviour.

“There are so many issues here,” one said. “She won’t accept the correct spelling of your daughter’s name, she’s crossing boundaries with the presents and now social media.”

“I’d just have it out with her personally,” another suggested. “She obviously doesn’t care what you or your husband have said so bring out the big guns.”

As with all family tension, the thought of an argument is never a pleasant one, but we have to admit that this mother-in-law has definitely taken things way too far.

Have you had issues with people spelling your child’s name incorrectly? Let us know in the comments.

You May Also Be Interested In:

This Is What The Teletubbies Sun Baby Looks Like Now!
What Are The Best Baby Travel Accessories?
Kim Kardashian Warned Over Baby Psalm’s Sleeping Position

• The article says the couple correct it, not just the Mum. We don’t know the relationship between the Dad and his Mother. Maybe he will cop a lot of abuse, loud enough for all the neighbours or others to hear. He’ll be the one being embarrassed and his Mum might even think it’s funny. You should both confront her at the same time, hopefully without your daughter overhearing. You as a family including your daughter deserve the lady’s respect

• Oh man, I’d be tempted to misspell dear mother in law’s name on her birthday cards

• I don’t think I’d let it worry me.

• My nan spells my name incorrectly some times, but purely by accident. I know she is getting older in age and unlike this women she isn’t doing it on purpose

• Very respectful, I’d tell her if she didnt stop she wouldn’t being involved in child’s life until she did. Your child your decision

• Very disrespectful I feel. I’d also be making my partner man up to his mum, as If it was my mum it would be my place to say something

• It appears to be silly and disrespectful behaviour and it is best ignored and given no room to grow.
    As long as the parents and child know the correct spelling it just makes the other person look quite silly.
    It has been addressed and still continues and it does not deserve any more attention – sometimes without attention and fuss these things fail to thrive and stop!

• I agree

• Thanks Ellen – I know this from personal experience!
        Without oxygen and attention the silly behaviour ceased.

• It’s up to the parents how they choose to spell their kids names – the grandparents had their opportunity when they had kids. My daughter who is 13 still has her name written incorrectly on some things – people tend to forget the “R” but it’s not worth a family fall out.

• This mum in law certainly takes things way too far, but personally I think that the more attention you give to it the worse it will get. With other words try to ignore it !
    My daughter’s and son’s names are frequently misspelled too, I only point it out when it’s on a official document and let it go for the rest of it. They are nearly 15 and 14 yrs old now and are on the age they can correct it themselves if they want to.

• It’s one of those things where you do need to ask if it’s really worth getting that upset over? My daughter’s name is not spelt the traditional way. When shortening her name (as most of her cards are) it is written differently on almost all of them. It doesn’t bother our daughter and it’s really not worth getting upset about! When my son was born everyone spelt his name differently and I actually double checked I was spelling it correctly! Just let it be between your daughter and her grandmother. Lots of grandparents have personal nicknames for their grandkids.

• My Nan and Mum argued over the spelling of my name, my mum caved in and now I spell my name wrong! It is spelt ei on my birth certificate and all legal docs but the everyday use I spell it with ie. My Mum was right and Nan wrong but for the sake of family harmony mum let it go

• I can’t believe that a family member would spell the name wrong on purpose. What is she thinking??

• I think the MIL is in the wrong. The parents have chose the way to spell their daughters name and it is no concern of the MIL whether she likes the spelling or not! My name was always spelled wrong or pronounced incorrectly (still is to be honest). I do correct some people some times, but sometimes it’s just not worth it …..

• Don’t lose sleep over these things. Our family don’t pronounce my daughters name correctly either and it use to drive me insane. It’s their problem not mine and my girl will be old enough soon to tell them that’s not how you say her name!