Mum shares her disappointment at discovering her child’s daycare centre allows children to play with balloons.

The concerned mum shared on MOM answers that when she arrived at daycare to drop off her baby the carers had set up latex balloons hanging from the ceiling.

She added, “The balloons hung to a height just above the ground to where the children could reach. My child is 12 months old and walking and would love playing with balloons but I think they are just too dangerous.

“The centre has a no plastic bag policy so I find it strange they give balloons to the kids. I know they will get rid of the balloons once I voice my concern today, but my trust has been eroded and now I am thinking of pulling my son out of the centre. Is this over reacting?”

Some people simply told the mum she was definitely overreacting, while others were more concerned for the environment.

A couple of responses to her post include:

– “I think unless your child has a known allergy or a history of trying to eat them then there isn’t any reason to worry,”

– Another said, “Kids do have a lot of fun with balloons, but I see where your concerns come from as they can be dangerous. I’m more concerned about their impact on the environment. Ban all non compostable balloons and help save our planet.”

– “It is actually a sensory toy used in many daycare centres and schools australia wide to encourage play. But kids love balloons and there is no harm in them unless they try to eat them or are allergic to them. I would voice your concern if you really think it is an issue but I certainly don’t think they have violated your trust – particularly if they didn’t know you were so concerned”, wrote another.

This mum is actually fighting to ban balloons – read her story here. While in QLD the release of helium balloons is now officially illegal!

Do you allow your children to play with balloons?

Share your comments below

• As long as they are supervised there shouldn’t be an issue.

• As long as the children are supervised then balloons are a fun thing to play with.

• Supervision is the key. Why are we trying to suck all the fun out of our kids lives. My 2 love them it’s not a party till the balloons are up

• I give my kids balloons to play with they are fun but I always supervise

• I can see her concerns about using balloons especially if they pop and the educators don’t realise it, they then become a choking hazard, but if properly supervised balloons offer great visual stimulation as well as gross-motor and fine motor skill development.

• Kids love balloons and it’s a great tool to develop their motor skills. Shoelsn’t be a problem when there is supervision present at all times. Yes think she’s overreacting when she says her trust is eroded now and thinking about pulling her son out of the center.

• My kids are 7,9 and 11 and I blow up about 50 balloons for their birthdays (a surprise when they come out in the morning) and they all play with them for days after! Much to my disgust cos I’m forever picking up latex and I hate the smell. I do see her point if a child ingests a popped balloon or chokes it could be dangerous but i say with supervision – let them play!

• A mum that’s definitely over reacting, kids love balloons.

• Bring in the party police! There are balloons being used… seriously.
    This is over reacting, I’m sure the children are not left to their own devices when playing with balloons and if one were to burst then it would be removed immediately. Parenting has become such a cotton wool society, having fear at every angle and not allowing your child to enjoy childhood.

• I agree with the sentiments of most on here – to consider pulling the child out from the centre and saying ‘trust has been eroded’ is a massive overreaction. Nothing wrong was done! What trust has been eroded?? You trust a childcare centre to care for, supervise, educate and provide stimulation for your child.
    Absolutely nothing here for trust to be eroded. Children are constantly supervised in a centre – especially in the babies room as ratio is higher.
    If no allergies to latex (and staff would’ve ensured this) and there was supervision (of course there would be), then to me this is a total non issue.
    Balloons are great for play and sensory development -one of many many items, toys, games and things used all the time by educators at childcare centres.

• Yes I do allow my children to play with balloons with supervision. Though I am worried about the disposal of the broken ones.

• balloons are also used in aged care homes, they are great for their motor and sensory skills. Very much an over reaction, I can guarantee the supervision there is much more than you give at home

• I can see how they are great for sensory reasons and it is a bit of an over reactment to want to remove your child when you haven’t even spoken to the centre to voice your concerns and haven’t even given them a chance to address it or offer you an explaination or to take it down to make you feel better.

• Kids love balloons, I’m sure they don’t have them every day..

• Massive over reaction. The kids wouldn’t be left unsupervised with them. And I can’t imagine the carers would let them be so rough that they pop them.