Mum shares how she was excited to finally be asked out on a coffee date and a chance to escape the baby blues only to realise she was being ambushed by a party plan business.

Cathy-Lee shared her story on Facebook attracting plenty of comments about how rude it was of her friend to put her in such a position.

Cathy-Lee wrote, “Went for a coffee this morning to catch up with a friend from my old workplace I’d not seen for ages. She contacted me out of the blue and I was so happy as I’d been meaning to phone her for a few weeks to arrange something.

“Got out of my PJs early on a Saturday, dressed nicely, did my hair and everything. Put on makeup and PAID for a local babysitter for my 10 month old and 7 year old for 2 hours.

“Got to the Cafe and was hit with an overwhelming smell of something that smelt like an orange tree being diffused. Met my friend and ordered our drinks and I mentioned the smell was odd as it blocked the lovely coffee smell. I went to sit outside, then, without warning, she steered me right over to where this rep was sat down with 6 other ladies, diffuser and all, with a spot for me right next to her with a catalogue and order form.

I was ambushed with a Doterra party!

(TBH I’ve been to one before, but never bought anything and it was by choice and in support of another friend)

“I had my coffee and listened to be polite, whilst shooting my friend alternating WTF looks and death stares.

All I wanted was some adult contact and a kid-free conversation for the first time that week.

“The rep was nice enough, but when she tried to put a drop of oil in my not-cheap coffee to help “wake me up”, actually put lemon oil in the water on the table and didn’t say anything until I had a drink and pulled a face at the taste, then warmed a drop of peppermint oil in her hand and shoved it in my face right as I took a deep sigh in, I tapped out.

“I finished my coffee, just got up without a word and left. I had 8 missed calls and 4 messages from my friend who invited me to coffee, which I ignored whilst taking myself out to a lovely lunch instead this afternoon.

“So disappointed and pissed off, AND WHY THE FUCK CAN I STILL SMELL PEPPERMINT ?? !”

Cathy-Lee also shared the conversation she had with her friend via text after she was ambushed.  Check it out below.

Have you ever been ambushed by a party plan business? Share your comments below

image via unsplash

• Think I would have done the same thing – what a terrible way to treat a friend – guess it will be an ex-friend now.

• i think she did the right thing by walking away. like she said rare opportunity to go out. don’t want to waste it.

• When I moved to Chicago to study my doctorate, I met two women in the grocery store. They were really nice and I told them that I had just moved there and didn’t know anyone. They were sweet and said that they wanted to introduce me to their friends so I would have a support system. I got all dressed up and went to what I thought was a party, it turned out to be a Mary Kay recruitment event and they tried to convince me to be a seller. I was saved by explaining that I was on a study visa and couldn’t legally work in the United States, then they let me leave.

• I would be fuming too, I don’t get out much so if that happened I would probably have the exact same response, especially since it can give me migraines

• Not been ambushed thankfully. I can’t understand this woman’s frustration and anger, heck, she had to pay for a babysitter.

• lol….. CAN not can’t, sigh.

• This is sad you should always be upfront but even more so with a new Mum.

• Yes, I’ve been ambushed, didn’t buy anything, and left early when the host was trying to coerce me into hosting the next party.

• I too would have been p. off. You are justified in storming off. How inconsiderate of your ‘friend.’ She could have given you a heads up and let you make the decision.

• MLM is not very everybody. She should have been told beforehand what she was attending. The fact she hasn’t heard from her in months and then only hear from her to go to that she’s probably feeling hurt and used. How annoying to hire a babysitter and having to spend ‘me time’ listening to that!

• MLM is a cult, once your friend is involved you can guarantee they will try to sell you a bunch of useless crap you don’t need. I have made it very clear to my friends that I won’t get involved.

• What a cheek! She must have been so disappointed in her friend!

• No doubt – disappointed in a friend coffee and chat turning into sales opportunity.

• I hate these things!! I was harassed by a certain party planing company for over a year after attending one to support a friend. I won’t name the company, but they all.do it!!

• I feel sorry for the poor mum – organising a babysitter, excited about some time out and a chat with a friend and then….a party plan! :(

• In these type of situations you get to know your “friends”, doesn’t sound like a real friend to me.

• Never happened with me but I dont think she was her friend she was actually her colleague whom she didnt met for a long time. I have someone like that from my previous workplace who only call me when she needed something or some kind of information I dont call these people friends