Mum calls for mandatory basic training around caring for a new baby before parents are discharged from hospital.

The mum shared how she is often sickened by how babies and infants get treated at times, by their caregivers and their partners.

We are too often reading breaking news about a child or infant losing their life after suffering some form of terrible abuse or neglect.

This mum (who wants to stay anonymous) believes all parents should have to  watch a compulsory video on basic care of their babies and toddlers, and should not be allowed to leave hospital with their new baby until they have signed an agreement that they have undertaken the basic training.

She also suggested it could be something taught in high school or even late primary school to help grow and nurture loving and caring parents.

One of the important topics to teach new parents include, what to do if your baby is crying:

1. Check that your baby isn’t thirsty/dehydrated

2. Check that your baby isn’t hungry

3. Check that your baby has a clean nappy

4. Do they have a nappy rash and how to treat?

5. Consider using a cheap dummy

6. Consider giving your baby a favourite comfort blanket or toy

7. Consider the option of having a pair of ear phones handy if you are struggling with a crying baby

8. Check for a fever, temperature, redness on body/face and when to seek medical assistance

9. Watch a video how to bathe a baby and how to check the water temperature first, on wrists.

Do you agree that new parents need more support after the birth of a new baby?

Read more – How to keep your child safe at home

Share your comments below

• I’m torn on this one, I think it could help but making parents take classes would be a bit hard. And really most things you’ve read or been told go out the window when you have a baby as you are so tired and emotional anyway!

• Pre natal classes and then a small follow up after baby is born

• This info gets offered in parenting courses before baby is born and there is so much info to find on internet. I find it logic that when you’re pregnant you investigate about your pregnancy, birth and baby. Gp’s midwifes and nurse have an important role too.

• Our GP, classes and the midwives gave fabulous education and we also obtained a wealth of information from so many sources. We found plenty of information!

• This education does occur before a baby is born and there is a wealth information available too.

• 100% agree. Would definitely help

• It’s a good idea but probably taking it too far. This should form part of the lessons/classes parents do before the child is born.

• Some of the questions people post on the mum groups make me think they should have had a bit more education before becoming a parent. I don’t understand what people do with the 9 months of pregnancy. I personally spent that time preparing for being a parent, which included the basics of: what is normal with breastfeeding, where to get help, signs and symptoms that require medical attention, and many other basic things that people don’t seem to know. I was shocked that the new mum information they give at the home visit includes a pamphlet on why you shouldn’t shake your baby, scary world.

• Compulsory upsets me as I wouldn’t have wanted it. Having plenty of experience through my work I was in the know. But it should be offered to everyone as I have helped out so many girlfriends who felt like they where drowning

• Unfortunately, if you’re the kind of person who would abuse a child, this wouldn’t make the slightest difference.

• I would have loved this after I had my babies. It can be so totally overwhelming becoming a parent, responsible for this tiny human being 24/7. But I don’t think it will impact much on the abuse and neglect. These cases don’t have much to do with parent classes, these people are totally list.

• Its a great idea in theory, unfortunately, the sort of people who neglect and abuse children don’t usually pay much attention to what a video says.

• I think the cases of abuse and neglect we often hear about is more a case of drug use and untreated mental health problems. The hospital I had my baby in included prenatal classes about birth and care of an infant.