Mum slammed after posting a photo of a McDonald’s, KFC, pizza and fizzy drink feast for her young daughter’s 7th birthday.

The mother-of-two, from Ratana on New Zealand’s North Island, was warned she would ‘give children diabetes’ after she posted in the Heil’s Kitchen group, which promotes healthy home cooking as an alternative to takeaway food.

feast mf

‘My girl’s 7th birthday party. Kentucky chicken, cheeseburgers, Thai food, pizza,’ she captioned the post written in Maori.

The picture has 20 cheeseburgers, 20 soft drink cans, 10 pizzas, six KFC buckets, six coleslaws, five potato and gravies and three Thai stir fry containers with chocolates and sweets scattered through.

feast

People were quick to slam the mother for the fast food feast, with one man calling it a ‘diabetes birthday’.

‘Happy birthday, we got you a heart attack,’ another man said.

‘That’s something I would expect for a boys 16th not a girls 7th birthday party,’ a woman said.

‘New Zealand has a massive obesity problem and this is not helping. No seven year old needs food like this,’ another woman said.

‘This is not a healthy diet.’

I must admit when I read the headline I expected it to be a teenagers birthday. It is a bit much for a 7 year old. But everything in moderation!

Share your comments below

• All I can think is how much this all must have cost :/ also wondering how much of this food went to waste?! You can’t really reheat takeaway. If there is that many people to cater for, baking/cooking would save so much money, and can be taken home by family and friends to enjoy later!! Fresh all the way! But that’s just me.

• Wow, there must have been an awful lot of children attending. If they are playing lots of boisterous games and expending great energy then this meal would be great.

• Umm happy birthday by the way but I wouldn’t do this for a 7th bday party but a 21st but again I would never do it anyway.

• Its a birthday celebration and as long as this is not all the time, I say “Happy birthday” and enjoy :)

• Every now and then it’s ok

• Not a nice way to celebrate. Even if it was a ‘one off treat’ for the birthday child for the other children they could be eating it far more often. Plus if the birthday kid thinks of this as a ‘treat’ then something is also wrong. A treat should still be good for you (even if it is not something you could afford everyday); who wants to poison themselves? or encourage their kids to do the same. I don’t think the ‘ok in moderation’ argument applies to these foods. Worse than smoking; and that is not ‘ok in moderation’ either.

• Oh wow for a 7th birthday. That’s just something I wouldn’t personally do

• You certainly wouldn’t want a 7 year old eating this everyday, but if it’s just for a party then it’s not so bad.

• Looks healthier than lollies, chocolate and cake!

• Yeah obviously it is not the healthiest. But everything in moderation, right? Parties come in moderation and depending on the ages / number of guests, it’s totally cool. For for it. It’s not like they’ll be doing it again the next day.

• It’s a party! Could be a the large amount of kids.

• One clear tub appears to have salad in it. (thin carrot sticks etc,) I can’t see what is in the other 2.

• It depends how any guests – and if it’s once a year for a prty, it’s unlikely to do real harm.

• It’s a party why do people think they have the right to criticise

• It is a party and not an everyday meal and there is not mention of numbers.

• Context and numbers of children and adults is needed to comment.