A concerned mum has shared a warning issued by her child’s school about the safety surrounding gel ice packs.

The school had sent home information about two young children who tried to ‘lick’ the contents of the ice pack because ‘it looked like jelly’ after the packaging burst open in their lunchbox, shares Daily Mail.

‘May we please ask all parents not to use the gel ice packs as per the photograph,’ the school asked. Explaining, “we have had two burst in lunch boxes and kids tried to lick the gel thinking it was jelly.”

The Perth-based mother said she was passing the warning along just in case other parents used them as well.

gel pack 2 gel pack

 

We recently shared a warning from a NSW mum who shared an important message about children using gel icepacks on injuries etc after her young son managed to consume some – read her story here.

Share your comments below


Dynamo - Read The Reviews


  • Why would you put those in a kids lunch box? I’ve only ever seen the hard ones here and those kind of gel ones are usually used for icing injury’s.

    Reply


  • I prefer the hard ones. If used I use them in a zip lock bag to keep the moisture off the food.

    Reply


  • Hmmmm, clearly a very good warning. They also look a little like ice blocks.

    Reply


  • Thanks for the warning about the gel packs.

    Reply


  • I heard it is the one manufactured in Taiwan that have nasty chemicals in them. I have never seen any with green gel in them, only blue. I used to wrap a frozen blue in a flannel and put on my forehead if I had a headache, I worked wonders. Only very rarely need to take pain relief. It seems I will be freezing water in a very small drink bottle.

    Reply


  • I think school aged children, once told it would make them ill, should be right to have these in their lunch box. I’m also pretty sure that once they had a lick they wouldn’t go in for a second one – I’d imagine it tastes awful!

    Reply


  • What about telling your kids that if it breaks it’s not to be eaten??
    Or put the pack inside a zip lock bag – extra protection if it breaks if you’re that worried.
    We’ve bought a couple of the gel ice packs over the years since my oldest started school and only had them break when the kids squeezed them a lot (and it was a slow ooze, not a massive spills like the pictures).

    Reply


  • You’d hope that the contents wouldn’t be toxic regardless.

    Reply


  • Anything that is made from gel from China is very risky, cheap products, toxic ingredients. Yes definitely use the hard plastic ones, or make your own using leak proof containers.

    Reply


  • Can certainly see how this would happen. I used to freeze some water in the kids drink container and by the time it thawed by lunch time, everything was nice and cold and no waste product to worry about.


    • Yes, me too. Or sometimes I freeze those yoghurt pouches (my kids love frozen yoghurt), so anything else in the lunchbox stays nice and cool.

    Reply


  • I prefer the hard plastic ones too, but it’s a pity those aren’t made in a smaller size.


    • By the way, the hard plastic ones can leak as well in the lunchboxes !

    Reply


  • /I think the hard plastic ones are safer

    Reply


  • I always try and use the harder cased ice packs.

    Reply


  • I did buy some of these with the intention of using it for this but once they arrived I saw how different they were to packs I already had, so now just keep them for use when I can control their use.

    Reply


  • very scary, so hard to know what to do these days to keep our kids safe

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join