A grieving mum has issued a warning to parents after her baby daughter tragically died in her cot.

Little Jessica Lacey Duggan sadly died after a baby monitor cord became wrapped around her neck.

The 18-month-old was found accidentally strangled by the cord from a Motorola baby monitor on October 26, last year.

It’s thought she had somehow managed to grab the cord, which had been tucked along a wall behind a shelf. She was found by her dad Jason, 30, shortly after he put her down for a nap.

UK Mum, Danielle, 31, wants to raise awareness about Jessica’s death so other parents don’t have to go through a similar heartbreaking experience.

Warning to parents

‘I would urge that parents are really careful when setting up their monitors.’ she said. ‘A few years ago people were worried about blinds near cots, but we never had that.’

The couple have no idea how Jessica grabbed the cord or how it ended up around her neck. They are desperate to raise awareness for other families.

A statement read out in court on behalf of PC Matthew Hill, who attended the scene, said there ‘was nothing to suggest this was something other than a tragic accident’. Coroner Yvonne Blake concluded that the death was caused by compression of the neck by ligature.

Danielle and Jason are still coming to terms with their loss, and have called for more support for parents who have lost a child.

‘You get a free counsellor if you have miscarried, your baby was still born or you lost a child through cancer but we got nothing,’ said Danielle.

Our thoughts are with the family x

Share your comments below

Image via Gofundme


  • Oh how sad my heart goes out to them………you would never ever recover fully from something like this

    Reply


  • Oh gosh that is so heart breaking.

    Reply


  • Aww that little girl is gorgeous and this is such a sad story. I feel for her parents having to cope with the grief of losing their little girl. I hope this story raises awareness for other parents out there to be more vigilant of things like this

    Reply


  • How tragic is this ! My thoughts go out to the family.

    Reply


  • How very sad.

    Reply


  • You have to be really careful around young children. It is amazing what they can get up to. This is not a way for anyone to die and hopefully years down the track the parents will release these things happen, still does not make it any easier.

    Reply


  • So heartbreaking knowing my daughter is about the same age as this little girl.

    Reply


  • Very heart breaking

    Reply


  • This is just terrible, sorry for the loss.

    Reply


  • Such a heartbreaking thing to happen. Poor baby girl

    Reply


  • Heartbreaking and every possible sympathy to this family.

    Reply


  • This is so heartbreaking! A baby monitor is there to give you peace of mind that your baby is safe. So tragic that it has done the opposite in this case.

    Reply


  • Heartbreaking it’s a parents worst nightmare.

    Reply


  • Oh, beautiful child. I can’t even imagine how bad the parents must feel. Deepest condolences. :-(

    Reply


  • So incredibly sad so glad mines wireless

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join