Aussie mum of four is warning parents to check meds carefully before administering them to children after her twins ended up in hospital.

Sharing in a popular Facebook group the mum warned, “Please please please, I urge you parent’s, carers, grandparent to double check, triple check medication before you give it to kid’s. Ex mother in law accidentally gave both my twins the wrong medication this morning and ended up in hospital.”

The boys were accidentally given catapres instead of Ritalin.

Roberta told MoM that she understands accidents do happen, but people need to be vigilant of the dangers.

“We are all busy, run off our feet and rushing around and it take one thing and ur life is turned upside down.

“Unfortunately this is the second time it has happened to one of the boy’s, first time it was the same drug but a lot worse and was a matter of life or death. Dosage was super high and wasn’t looking great at all. It was administered by an educator at day care. This drug gives me nightmares.”

She added, “the dose was high enough to drop their bp and heart rate. They were given an adult dose.”

Ritalin sa is a small white tablet, and so is catapres, so it’s an easy mistake to make and it’s lucky the error was picked up and medical advice sought.

Roberta shared that thankfully the boy’s are fine with no lasting damage and made a full recovery once the drug was out of their system. Phew!

It certainly pays to check first and even get someone else to double check if you can.

Share your comments below.


  • oh God!! so glad the kids are okay.

    Reply


  • Hope they are ok. Have to be so careful with medications. I’m allergic to so many things always took great care with our kids to see if they were the same 1 out of 4 has similar to me.

    Reply


  • Glad the boys are ok

    Reply


  • So scary – glad the boys are ok.

    Reply


  • Always have to be careful when its for kids

    Reply


  • A very sensible reminder. Can’t be too careful with medication.

    Reply


  • They need to be in clearly labelled containers so they can’t be mixed up easily?

    Reply


  • I always check the label and double check dosage before administering anything even for myself.

    Reply


  • good advice

    Reply


  • So scary especially since it isn’t the first time it’s happened.

    Reply


  • SO Easy to make mistakes, especially when sleep deprived (we all know that feeling, hey mums and dads)

    Reply


  • Yes always double or triple check medication before you give it. It’s not for nothing they double / triple check by different professional staff in the hospital.
    My 9yr old uses Catapres morning & night and has used Ritalin in the past, now Zoloft & Catapres. These are serious substances indeed.

    Reply


  • It is very important to always be clearly aware when giving medication to your children, yourself or anyone. Reading labels is a must for me. Poor children, very scary for them and their parents.

    Reply


  • I’d even be putting large writing/labels on the medication the boys can have rather than have this happen a third time – they have been lucky twice now – don’t push the odds.

    Reply


  • Always check labels first

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join