A young mother has issued an urgent warning to parents after finding used syringes just metres away from son in the sandpit at a local playground.

Kiera Thorpe made the discovery on Sunday morning at Grahame Stewart Park in Currimundi on the Sunshine Coast when she took her 18-month-old son for a play.

Her husband and toddler had been posing for photos in the sandpit only minutes before she spotted the syringe gleaming off the sunlight.

needle

“It’s certainly scary,” she told 7NEWS.com.au.

“It’s kind of put a bitter taste in my mouth, to be honest.”

It was the first time she’d taken her son to that particular park after hearing about it’s reputation.

“There’s a little kid who could have fallen on them or picked it up and not known any better,” she said.

The mum said it’s opened her eyes to how important it is for parents to keep a watchful eye over their kids.

Share your comments below

Image via Unsplash


  • It’s scary and playgrounds can be used as a place where people like to isolate themselves to do stupid things that are dangerous for our most vulnerable.

    Reply


  • Parents have to be so vigilant these days – nowhere is really safe from discarded needles anymore. Shoes have to be worn at all times and especially on the beach – the sheer freedom we once used to have has long gone and been destroyed.

    Reply


  • It’s really sad that you have to be so careful and people are so selfish. Luckily they saw it and the boys was not hurt.

    Reply


  • This is so awful. I think I will still to a sandpit in the backyard instead, much safer. I also get scared at the beach, good quality water shoes must be worn at all times.

    Reply


  • I would not feel at all comfortable letting my child use a public sandpit.

    Reply


  • I’m always so weary near public sandpits, even the beach for this exact reason. Just wish those who are disgusting enough to use them would keep there nasty habits away from areas that could harm our children


    • We show caution at the beach too and other public areas. Appropriate foot wear for sure.

    Reply


  • Sadly! Not the first time such nasties have been found and no doubt not the last.

    Reply


  • This is scary, so antisocial ! You don’t want to think about what could happen.

    Reply


  • At one of the schools my older children went to the principal would go around with a container to pick up the syringes left there. this was a private school too. In public sand pits my children must wear their shoes and only use the spades and buckets. Even beaches are getting bad this way.

    Reply


  • It’s so sad that some people just don’t care about anyone else but themselves these days. Lucky the mum found it before it harmed anyone.

    Reply


  • Very scary, they can be anywhere

    Reply


  • Sadly this is just so common these days :(

    Reply


  • You can find them in long grass or sand on the beach. We have found them in carparks at shopping centres too. We were warned about both large and small pieces of broken glass both on the top of and buried in the sand on a beach near the water’s edge.

    Reply


  • We always avoid public sandpits.

    Reply


  • So scary! Needles, broken bottles, ring pulls – absolutely sickening!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?

No picture uploaded yet
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.

Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just submit?

Write A Rating Just Submit
Join