NEW Easter bun flavours have been labelled a “national disgrace.”

The TODAY show shared how the internet has been divided in an online bunfight over the introduction of extravagant hot cross bun flavours to our supermarket shelves.

Some people have welcomed the new flavours with open arms but others aren’t convinced, labelling them a “national disgrace.”

Even a hot cross bun ice cream has been released.

While some people said it was such a first world problem, and others argued each to their own, just don’t buy them if you don’t like them. Others agreed that the true meaning of the Easter bun has totally been lost.

Comments included:

“I tasted a banana and caramel early January, it was foul! It was also reduced so I should have known better.”

“I don’t like the fruit so fruitless is the go with me and I like the chocolate ones.”

“They can be all year round I love them and the flavours..yummo”

“It’s truly gone, the real reason for easter sadly and what the hot cross bun stood for.”

“All these horrid new flavours and you still cannot buy a traditional hot cross bun with peel in it….seriously!!!!!”

” The original it’s good enough.”

“I love the plain old Easter Buns with fruit and peel.”

Why we eat fruit buns at Easter

In many historically Christian countries, the buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of the crucifixion.

Which bun do you prefer for Easter?

Share your comments below

• If you dont want to try the new flavors, then don’t! Simple! I had a raspberry and white choc one the other day and it was delightful

• I like the fruitless ones. I might have a go at making some with my son.

• If you want traditional go to the good old bakery down the street and support them rather than the big business guys

• Every year there will be new flavours so best just to enjoy them and get on with it :)

• I hate hot cross buns with fruit in them and a lot of times the fruitless still taste like it is in there so if I get any I get the chokky chip but in my world not hot cross buns until Good Friday or my mum will hunt me down

• I’m traditional fruit hot cross buns only but I don’t care if others don’t

• Traditional homemade for Easter – but I like trying the new flavours in the lead up to Easter!

• Original is iur family fav. Although I like the chocolate ones warmed up.

• A “national disgrace”? Seriously? THAT’S what they think we should be ashamed of?

• I think it’s nice to give customers a choice. If you don’t like a flavour, just don’t buy it.
    I love hot cross buns with fruit!

• Different hot cross bun flavours are fun – although – my favourite are homemade!

• It is great to have different flavours to chose from,l don’t understand why Peugeot so upset!

• Hot cross buns have become more of an everyday food rather than just for Easter. So when they start releasing them just after Christmas it becomes more of a sales point rather than the true meaning of Easter. Personally I refuse to buy them until a month of Easter.

• When the different flavoured Easter buns are being sold then there is clearly a market for it.

• People have different tastes. I agree they are meant to be eaten on Good Friday. You should br able to buy the same buns – without the cross to eat the rest of the year. Some nationalities celebrate Easter on a different weekend so they are less likely to have surplus Hot Cross Buns or Easter Eggs left. The price of them is often dropped dramatically. Depending on the “best used by” date some people stock up on Easter Eggs for the following year. People may may not eat the Icecream ones on Good Friday. Are the manufacturers going to allow the Supermarkets to return the surplus for a credit – I don’t think that is likely at all.