The Aussie actress has admitted that her parenting rules make her less than popular with her young daughters…

Nicole Kidman has admitted that her old-fashioned parenting rules often make her less than popular with her daughters Sunday and Faith. USA Today reports that the Aussie actress is determined to keep her children as grounded as possible, despite their life in the public eye, and has the full support of her musician husband Keith Urban.

Setting Boundaries

Nicole says that ensuring her girls stay off social media is central to her set of parenting rules. “They don’t have a phone and I don’t allow them to have Instagram,” she said of ten-year-old Sunday and eight-year-old Faith. “I try to keep some sort of boundaries.” Nicole believes her own upbringing and a strong belief in God has also influenced her parenting style. “I had a very Catholic grandmother and I was raised praying so that had a massive impact,” she said. “I wouldn’t say it’s absolutism…tolerance is the most important thing.” The family are known to attend church regularly as Nicole believes it reiterates to her girls the importance of not judging others.

Living The Southern Life

Living in Nashville, Nicole is reported to be a typical Southern mum in many ways. Both her children take music lessons, with Faith playing the violin and Sunday favouring the piano. Nicole also has frequent conversations with her daughters about the importance of female independence and empowerment, and the absence of this in many global communities. “We’re trying to educate about those things,” she said. “But it’s giving information gently and then guiding.”

While we’re not sure how long Nicole is going to be able to shield her girls from the lure of social media, we have to admire her determination to make them aware of their responsibilities and raise them in line with her own values and beliefs.

Do you believe in old-fashioned parenting rules or are they simply outdated? Share your thoughts in the comments.

• I don’t see any problem with setting rules and boundaries.

• I don’t see anything wrong with her rules. It is setting her children up for a good foundation.

• There is nothing wrong with not exposing your children to the toxic side of social media until they are old enough to understand. Musical instruments are a fabulous idea. I agree with her

• How many 8 year and 10 year olds are on social media?? My kids certainly aren’t

• I think this is a great parenting rule and more parents should follow it, myself included! – good on her for wanting her kids to be grounded whilst their parents are in the media spotlight alot. We can only hope that lots of other celebrities considering this style of parenting for their kids.

• Why is this even called an unpopular parenting rule ? I think actually a lot of parents agree with her.

• I think she sounds like a very sensible mum bringing up well adjusted children !

• I know a 11 y;o. who has a very basic mobile phone to use in emergencies only. It only has her parents’ numbers in it. It is locked that she can only phone or text them. They are only ones that can contact her on it too.

• I’m all for old fashioned parenting. Modernised parenting has turned kids into major brats.

• Good parenting is rarely popular

• This is often true – but it is the best way to go.

• Given their ages, I think her rules are eminently sensible.

• They are too young for social media anyway. Under 13 should be right off it.

• Nicole sounds like she knows what she is doing based on how she was bought up.Good one Nicole!

• The girls are just 8 and 10. I agree with her. No phone and definitely no social media.

• Good on her! Pretty sure I got my first little mobile phone at 16. I was on Facebook and all those other old social media websites (MySpace, bebo) when I was younger than that, but I really don’t think I should of been! I’m not a fan of Facebook. Me and my husband are off it ourselves now.