By

Actress Megan Fox has spoken about the challenges of having two babies 16 months apart and then goes on to talk about her attitudes to TV for them …

At 28, Megan Fox has Noah, 20 months, and Bodhi, 4 months, and her husband Brian Austin Green has another son, Kassius, 12, from an earlier marriage.

“It’s total chaos, obviously,” she said. “Before you have kids you really do not understand how much work it is and how consuming it is. And then you have one and you’re like, ‘Oh my God, my baby is my whole world. Every moment of the day is dedicated to this one baby and then all of a sudden you have two babies!”

Many parents can relate to that. But maybe not her next statement: “It’s really hard to manage because I also don’t let them watch TV. It’s not like I’m going to sit Noah in front of the television so I can take care of Bodhi.”

What? No TV? For an actress, that sounds a bit … odd.

“I do let them watch movies, I just don’t let them watch TV,” she explained, adding that she doesn’t watch it herself either.

“With movies I feel like there’s a beginning, a middle and an end. It’s linear. There’s a clear story. I think that it’s different than just putting a kid in front of the television, because it’s just nonstop.”

“They’re just being bombarded with all of this sort of live media and it’s very overwhelming and it’s too stimulating I think for anyone.”

The actress has been promoting her new film, a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles which she filmed while pregnant: “I spent the whole shoot basically … on the verge of vomiting.”

And she knows she can’t control their screen time forever. “One day they’re gonna watch television … My intention is to keep it away as long as possible or to introduce it through Apple TV so they’re not being exposed to the commercials constantly. My goal is no computers, no cell phones until at least 8th grade.”

What’s your screen time policy with your kids? Do you limit it? Do you have an age limit? We’d love to hear!

Image courtesy of Shutterstock: s_bukley / Shutterstock.com

Speaking of screen time (and if you’re still not sure what’s what) … here’s another two articles about screen time you may be interested in:

technology-kids

How much is too much technology for kids?

TV TIME HERO

Turn TV time into learning time

• Actually, I agree. We use DVDs of movies or quality TV (eg Playschool) but no live TV because of the ads.

• Lets see if she still feels that way in a few years!!! Great story though….

• I don’t limit my kids, today is all technology and they need to be adept at using it before they go to school

• What a wonderful outlook. well done

• Interesting, but don’t like to comment on other folks parenting to much, everyone is different and who are we to judge.

• I agree with so much she has said but our little one does watch TV…her opinion on movies having a beginning middle and end is right!

• Interesting to hear someone elses view on television watching.

• I agree with a lot of what she said. To be honest I don’t really watch tv either, just movies. I think in today’s society the 8th grade is a bit far fetched though.

• Each to their own on the tv viewing limits but no computers in this era is simple stupidity, its apart of learning and is integrated into school education. Mobile phone on the other hand, well that depends on the variables lets see how that pans out when her children reach year7 alot can change

• Regardless of the time watching the screen, it is very important to make sure your child doesn’t sit too close. That comment has been made by a few optometrists and eye specialists my family has seen over the space of at least 30 years. I know one Mum who put ther baby in front of the TV in an old style rocker which has no padding so she could ring her girlfriend and talk for an hour.

• I’m the same as the previous poster, had no idea she had kids and had no idea she was married to Brian Austin green!! But my opinion is that I don’t a bit of vt, some program’s I believe are educational such as playschool. But not sitting them in front of tv all day as a babysitter. Everything in moderation is key!

• I never knew she had kids…I must be under a rock

• Like most things in life, it’s all about balance. A little t.v. is o.k., depending on the show and the age of the child. Same with computer use. But it’s up to parents to monitor what their children do and for how long. Different lifestyles mean different ways of doing things.

• My step children play more computers, iPads and phones compared to television. It’s only really when we eat dinner together as a family that we sit I front of the television,

• TV and movies are different because movies have a beginning, a middle and an end – lol! So does pretty much everything on the TV, even the commercials.

Anyway to answer the question, no we didn’t restrict TV viewing – to each their own.

One thing I did like about this article was the fact that she stated HER intentions towards limiting TV for her children and didn’t preach what she thinks others should do – I admire her for that.