Grandparents accused of spoiling kids with too many treats. But we are not standing for it!
Grandparents may think they are being kind when they bring out the biscuit tin or serve up second helpings of a hearty home-cooked meal.
Chances are their grandchildren will also love them for the extra treats when they visit.
But spoiling the younger generation may not be doing them any good, according to academics, shares Daily Mail.
Grandparents may be going a bit overboard, as children looked after by their grandparents were found to be more overweight.
A study of more than 15,000 children aged three found those most often looked after by their maternal grandmother were 20 per cent more likely to be on the chubby side.
Submitting your rating…
An academic review of 56 studies suggests that when the older generation ‘demonstrate their love’ with goodies and extra portions, grandchildren’s health may be suffering.
Submitting your rating…
The review, led by the University of Glasgow, says: ‘For weight-related studies, grandparents were characterised by parents as indulgent, misinformed and as using food as an emotional tool within their relationships with grandchildren.’
The review, published in the journal PLOS One, looked at studies across 18 countries.
It found parents believed grandparents fed their children food too high in sugar and fat.
While home-cooked meals made from scratch were welcome, grandparents stood accused of ‘overfeeding’ children.
People are outraged at the Granny shaming!
A poll on TODAY Facebook page asking if people think Grandma is making kids fat has sparked debate with the majority of people replying NO!
– “FFS, what a load of crap!!!! These so called experts just point the finger to make it look like they’re doing their job. Grandparents have been doing this for centuries (probably worse than today’s grandparents) but for some reason the children of today are more obese.”
– “This is not true for the generation today, do kids even get off their electronic devices long enough to visit their nana? Now if it were the generation I grew up in then I’d probably have to agree.”
– “What a lot of crock! Fast food and lazy parents are what makes kids fat not grandparents…. no kfc no MacDonalds no hungry jacks when we grew up! Milkshakes and local fish and chip shop was a Friday night treat… and home made biscuits.”
– “You are kidding me? So what they are eating the rest of the time has no bearing on it at all? A biscuit or cake tin was normal generations ago…usually home made…and a treat. ”
While another said what happens at grans house stays at grans house!
I always loved our visits to nan. But I can understand that today quite often grandparents are one of the main carers for children while mum and dad work. So obviously in that case daily treats aren’t good.
Do your parents spoil the kids?
- What grandparents really think of today’s parenting
- How Grandparents are contributing to childhood obesity
- We need to educate grandparents ASAP for the sake of the children
Share your comments below.