Pet owners are divided over the Bunnings rule which states that dogs are only allowed in store if they are muzzled and on a leash.

Since 2015, all Bunnings stores in Australia require dogs to be muzzled, carried in their owner’s arms or placed in a trolley.

The controversial rule was made after a child was bitten by a Jack Russell terrier, shares Daily Mail.

A flood of customers have criticised the policy on social media after a viral post called out Bunnings over the ‘pathetic’ rule.

‘You have to muzzle your dog in Bunnings?! Just because some silly kid didn’t ask permission before touching a dog and got nipped? F***ing pathetic,’ one angry customer shared on a Perth Facebook group on Saturday.

‘Muzzles are for aggressive dogs and evil crotch goblins. Not friendly, loving pooches,’ she wrote.

The post attracted many comments from people who were in favour of the policy.

‘Why the hell do people take their dogs to Bunnings? It’s such a stupid place to take a dog,’ one wrote.

‘I think it’s a good thing, they could’ve banned dogs all together [sic] and they didn’t … if your [sic] too lazy to put a muzzle on your dog then you’re too lazy to own one,’ another wrote.

Many unaware users shared experiences of being denied entry into the hardware store because their dog didn’t wear a muzzle.

Do you support this policy?

Share your comments below

Image via Facebook

• I’d think it would be up to the store. If you don’t like it then don’t go there. I would assume there would be an exception for assistance dogs.

• The comment from this pet owner actually states either muzzle or have them in a trolley so its an option to keep them in a trolley.

• This is the one thing I don’t like about Bunnings, why the hell are people allowed to have their dogs there? We love a family trip to Bunnings but it just irks me to see dogs in the store.

• If i owned a dog I wouldn’t be taking it into bunnings

• Unless the dog is used as a disability aid it should not be in a shop full stop.

• I would just leave the dog in the car /ute
    Those photos are cute

• It’s actually illegal to leave a dog locked inside a car. If you wouldn’t leave a child in a car, then don’t do it to a dog. It’s cruel

• You don’t take on edge dogs to Bunnings though. We have taken our pomeranians in betpfore and it was mainly because we needed to quickly get something and we couldn’t leave them in the car. They were in our arms with harnesses but without mussels.

• I am an animal lover but have no issue with this rule. Some people are scared of dogs and some dogs do get scared. It protects people and dogs.

• I wouldn’t take my dogs to Bunnings as I like to get in and out and everyone would want to pat them. One of my dogs doesn’t like strangers and would definitely bite. The other problem being a lot of parents let their kids run amoke and they don’t seem to teach them that it’s dangerous to pat a strange dog. I can see a lot of kids getting bitten because of this and the poor dogs getting blamed. The only shop a dog really needs to go to is a pet shop to try on collars and harnesses or a Veterinary clinic.

• Children shouldn’t be running amok in shops. Parents need to discipline their children & not expect that everywhere in public is a free for all for kids to be a menace, especially in shops.
      Take them to a playground if they want to run, not to the shops.

• I would love to see more animals around, for example to have dogs allowed in public transport. I’ve never brought my dog to Bunnings, but I like the idea that if we are out with him and we realize we miss a thing in Bunnings, we can just go in with him and get it. But a muzzle… I don’t even have one. And I wouldn’t buy it just to bring my dog to Bunnings. If dogs were allowed in more places, that would be different.

• Exactly. Australia needs to be more dog friendly & tolerant of dogs in public. It’s a good teaching moment for parents to explain that not all dogs are friendly so you don’t approach one without asking permission first.
      A lot of behavioural issues arise from parents reinforcing children’s fears around dogs wrapping them in cotton wool rather than helping them deal with it.
      And yes, dogs should be allowed on public transport, not everyone has a car

• Dogs shouldn’t be allowed in Bunnings full stop with the exception of service dogs.

• I have never seen a muzzled dog in Bunnings. On a leash yes, but not muzzled.

• Melbourne suburban trains require dogs to be muzzled, lots of places in Europe require muzzles in certain places, e.g. in Vienna you can’t even let your dog off lead in any public place unless it is muzzled. I put a muzzle on my dog in areas where there may be fox or wild dog baits, espec in WA.

• Not everyone likes dogs. Some of us are really grateful not to be harassed by dogs. I don’t know why so many owners are resistant to leads. I’d be thrilled if off leash dogs were banned in all public places.

• Not everyone likes children. But they seem to be everywhere too ????‍♀️

• I don’t think you need to take your dog in a store,who cleans up after them? The owners or staff!