This tomato relish can be used instead of tomato sauce or on sandwiches.
Ingredients (makes 3 500g jars)
- 2 kg Chopped Ripe Tomatoes
- 500 g Sliced Onions
- 4 Tablespoons Salt
- 750 g White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Palin Flour
- White or Brown Vinegar
- Combine the tomatoes, onions and salt in a large bowl and allow to stand for at least 1/2 an hour
- Drain off any excess liquid.
- Place the tomato and onion mixture into a large heavy based saucepan and add enough vinegar to just cover the mixture.
- Brings to the boil and cook for approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and boil for a further 5 minutes
- Combine the mustard powder, curry powder and flour with at least 2 soup lades of the liquid from the pot. Stir the mustard mixture into the relish, stirring thoroughly.
- Simmer the relish, stirring regularly for approx. 20 minutes.
- Pour the relish into hot sterilised jars and store in a dark cupboard.
- NOTE: Do not add too much vinegar when covering the tomato & onion mixture as you will be left with a very runny relish. If this does happen, add cornflour paste mixed with a small amount of water at the end. More mustard powder and curry powder may be added to taste at step 7,.