This apple tart is a much loved winter dessert.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 7-8 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and grated
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts, Chopped
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 Egg yolks
- 125 grams Unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 12 Scoops Vanilla Ice-cream to serve
- To make the Filling: Place the apples, lemon juice and 1/4 Cup of the sugar in a saucepan and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Add the walnuts and cinnamon powder and stir through. Leave the filling aside to cool completely.
- To make the Pastry: Place the eggs and butter in a bowl mix to combine. Add the remaining sugar and continue to stir. Gradually add the flour and baking powder stirring after each addition. Knead the dough with your hands until just combined. Do not over work the dough. Separate 1/3 of the dough, roll it into a ball and place this in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll the remaining dough into a large ball. Lightly dust the work surface with flour and use a rolling pin to flatten out dough. Place the dough into a pie dish and press down to stretch it and cover the dish.
- Place the dish in the fridge while the filling cools. Once the filling has cooled completely, place it in the dish and spread evenly.
- Take the remaining dough from the freezer and grate over the filling.
- Bake in the oven until golden. Serve warm with vanilla ice-cream.