Ingredients (makes 2 large trays)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup popping corn
- 60g butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup malt vinegar
- 1 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- Salt flakes
- Arrange large sheets of baking paper over oven trays. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200 fan forced).
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the popcorn and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook shaking the pan regularly for 4 minutes or until the popcorn has popped. Spread the Popcorn over the baking trays, discarding any unpopped corn.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the butter, honey, golden syrup, sugar, vinegar, star anise, cinnamon stick and ground spices.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer for 7 minutes or until the sauce is glossy and thickened. Remove from the heat and add the bicarb, stir well to combine.
- Quickly drizzle the caramel lightly and evenly over the popcorn. Using large metal spoons, toss the popcorn through the caramel to coat. Discard the cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes or until deep golden colour, turning over the popcorn about half way through the cooking to evenly colour.
The caramel is very hot and can be sticky, take care while tossing through the popcorn. Keeps well for 2 days in a sealed container.
Notes... For more Baby Shower inspiration head to www.babylove.com.au/babyshower, which includes everything new mothers or friends of expectant mothers need to throw a fun baby shower. The hub includes content related to party theme ideas, food and drink recipes, decoration tips, digital invitation templates and fun games