Get your ducks in a row and wow your guests with this amazing carrot cake recipe! Here’s the low down on how to bake this winning dessert.
Both cute and tasty, your rubber ducky cake is sure to go down well! For more ideas on baby duck showers, see our Ducks in a Row theme.
Ingredients (serves 12 | makes 1 cake )
- 3 x 60g eggs
- ½ cup castor or raw sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- ½ cup shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- 3/4 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sultanas
- ½ cup dried apricots
- 1 finely grated rind of orange
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon and cardamom
- 500g cream cheese, room temperature (frosting)
- 50g butter, room temperature (frosting)
- 2 tsp vanilla paste or extract (frosting)
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted (frosting)
- Grease and line the base of 3 x 20 cm round cake pans with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 170°C (160°C fan forced).
- Beat the eggs, both the sugars, vanilla and oil in an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes until the mixture looks thick and creamy.
- Add the grated carrot, shredded coconut, dates, sultanas, dried apricots and orange rind. Mix together on low speed. Then add the flour followed by the almond meal and spices. Mix again on a low speed until everything is blended together.
- Divide the batter nice and evenly between the 3 lined cake pans, smoothing over the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes until firm. Try to fit all of your cake pans on the same shelf to keep the colour even. If it’s not possible, then rotate them as they bake. As they come out, let the cakes stand for 5 minutes. Invert them onto cooling racks and allow them to cool completely before icing.
- Spread one thin layer of frosting around the outside of one of the cakes. Refrigerate until the frosting is firm before spreading with a second layer.
- To stack your tiers, spread the layers with a little frosting and sandwich them together (see image). The top layer can be spread with icing if there’s extra.
- Decorate with ducklings as shown.
- For the Frosting: Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl with an electric mixture on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy.