This recipe is such a hit with my grandchildren. If I am cooking it only for the children I omit the wine. It is so quick and easy to prepare. Whilst the chicken is roasting I boil the vegetables and prepare the sauce and cook either rice or pasta to serve it with.
Any other vegetable can be used.
NOTE: I use lactose free cream when I make it for my nephews who are lactose intolerent.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 1.5kg whole Ingham chicken
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 6 snow peas
- 4 large broccoli florets cut in halves
- 200gm mushrooms sliced thinly
- quarter cup water
- quarter cup cream
- quarter cup white wine - optional
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water , until smooth
- Preheat oven to 220C. Lightly grease a roasting pan. Place a wire rack into roasting pan. Trim excess fat from chicken. Rinse chicken (including cavity) under cold running water. Pat-dry with paper towels. Season cavity with salt and pepper. Gently squeeze the juice from half the lemon over chicken, rubbing juice into skin. Place both lemon halves into chicken cavity. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Brush both sides of chicken with oil. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper. Place, breast-side up, onto rack in roasting pan. Roast for 1 hour or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer. Stand, covered until ready to use. Note : chicken can be cooked in advance.
- Bring water to boil add broccoli, asparagus and snow peas boil for 1 minute and drain
- Instructions for sauce Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin oil in a large pan over medium-high heat and sauté garlic, for about 1 minute, or until fragrant, add mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add water and simmer for 1 minute Stir in cream; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; add the cornstarch mixture to the centre of the pan, quickly stirring, until sauce has thickened slightly. Reduce heat and simmer gently for a further minute to allow the sauce to thicken more. If the sauce is too thick, add water. Return chicken to the pan, simmer for 1 minute add vegetables and turn off the heat.
- Place chicken on a serving dish decorate with the cooked vegetables and pour the remaining sauce over it.