There is nothing quite like a quick warm meal all ready for you when you walk in the door at night. Slow cooked meals are the perfect solution but adding in oats into the meal means you have a perfect combination to make a balanced meal. This one pot meal is delicious!
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1kg blade or cheap cut stewing steak
- 700mls beef broth (I make my own)
- 700mls water
- 2/3 cup cup of GF Oats
- 1 Tbsp seeded mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 400g shallots
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- salt and pepper
- Fry off the chopped up steak. Now a tip here if you want to do this quickly like I did on the stove for about 1 hour, buy a better cut of meat that is not so tough. If you buy stewing steak it will need a good couple of hours which you can do in a casserole dish or on the stove. But, pop it in the slow cooker for the day so when you come home, oh goodness delicious. You can pop your veggies in at the end.
- So now we have the meat sorted, add in your stock, water, oats, seasonings, herbs and cook in the oven or on your cooktop for about an hour. Please remember to keep an eye on it and stir frequently, so that it does not dry out or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Half way through add in your pumpkin, zuchinni and peas and pop the lid back on. With 10 minutes to go throw in the shallots. Then you are ready to go. One bowl a glass of red, nothing else to do but enjoy!! This definitely stuck to my sides for hours and the left overs the next day were delicious. Great way to warm up your winter’s night.