The best ragu recipe around. It turns out rich, thick, chunky and is packed with vegetables, the perfect hearty meal for a cold winter’s night.
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 3 Tbsp Margarine
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Medium onion, finely diced
- 3 Carrots, finely diced
- 3 Celery stalks, finely diced
- 1/2 Red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 200g Diced bacon
- 500g Mince
- 300g Tomato paste
- 1 1/2 C Milk
- 2 C Red wine
- 8 Tomatoes, diced
- 2 C Vegetable stock
- 600g Pasta
- Heat margarine and olive oil over medium heat in a heavy bottom stock pot. Add onion, carrots, celery and capsicum and cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and heat for 1 minute.
- Add bacon and mince, cook for 25 minutes until thoroughly browned.
- Add in tomato paste, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in milk, stir and cook until the milk is almost completely absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the red wine, stir and cook until the pan is almost dry, 20-25 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and stock, stir and bring pot to a simmer.
- Once simmering turn the heat down to low and leave to cook for 3 hours, stir occasionally to ensure it does not stick.
- Skim the fat/liquid layer from the surface before serving (the juice from the meat just cooks out and rises to the surface, it';s fine to eat but not necessary and can look funny when the sauce has cooled).