When cake is not eaten….. make trifle!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1/2 cake Rich Chocolate cake - stale & left over is good (I used an egg, milk & butter free recipe)
- 1 pkt Port Wine jelly - made up
- 1/2 jar Morello Cherries
- 600ml Custard (store bought or homemade)
- Crumble cake into serving bowl.
- Sprinkle cherries over cake.
- Pour hot jelly mix over the cake and cherries. Allow to cool.
- Pour custard gently over cake mixture.
- Sprinkle top with coconut. Chill before serving.
Notes... I had tried a cake recipe with no eggs, milk, butter - suitable for gluten, egg and lactose intolerant folk. It was very rich and it crumbled when I tried to remove it from the tin. Therefore it became trifle - a favourite in our household. It would be better with less custard and a topping of whipped cream and shards of chocolate - which would also make it an economical dessert for guests.