A simple easy cake to make for a work morning tea or the perfect afternoon cake with a coffee
Ingredients (makes 12 pieces)
- 200g butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour
- 50g butter
- ½ cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a round cake pan with baking paper.
- Using an electric beater beat the butter with the sugar until pale and creamy. Add in the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition
- Add the orange juice, sour cream and flour and fold through until just combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.
- To prepare the icing using an electric beater beat the butter until soft then add in the icing sugar one tablespoon at a time and continue to beat until pale and creamy. Add the orange zest and orange juice and beat until just combined.
- Ice the cake and then its ready to serve. I decorated with candied orange zest