Your family is sure to love this caramel sponge cake!
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 200g White chocolate (I used Aldi brand)
- 200g salted butter
- 1 cup Raw/brown sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 Room temp Eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda (bi-carb)
- Break up white chocolate, butter and sugar into a deep saucepan. Melt over low-medium heat. Stirring occasionally until combined into a thick sauce. Set aside for 20 minutes to cool. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. (Temp is important).
- Put eggs in wet mixture one at a time and whisk briskly until completely dissolved. Sift all dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, self raising flour and baking soda). Put dry ingredients into the wet mixture and start mixing. (I did this completely by hand but it would work well with a stick mixer also). Whisk briskly if doing by hand and try to get as many lumps as you can out. It's ok to have a few tiny ones left.
- Grease round cake tin and line with baking paper. Pour mixture into cake tin and put in oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Cake is cooked when risen, slighty browned and a skewer comes out clean. Leave in cake tin until luke warm then carefully turn out onto a cooling rack until completely cooled. Store in air tight container will keep for around 4 days.