These Carrot Patch Brownies will be a hit at your Easter get together! Rich chocolate brownies and chocolate coated strawberries…need I say more?!
Ingredients (makes 8 Large brownies)
- 140g Dark chocolate
- 225g Butter
- 5 Eggs
- 450g Caster sugar
- 110g Plain flour
- 1 tub Ready made chocolate icing
- 8 Strawberries
- 1/2 cup Whiote chocolate melts (to tint orange, or you can use pre coloured melts)
- 1/4 cup White chocolate melts to tint green (or you can use pre coloured melts)
- Chocolate sprinkles, or you could use crushed chocolate biscuits
- Desiccated coconut tinted green
- Orange food colour gel
- Green food colour gel
- Heat the oven to 190C, and line a 20x30cm/8x12in baking tin with baking parchment.
- Gently melt the butter, chocolate and the sugar together in a large pan. Remove from the heat and beat in the eggs, flour and coca powder
- Pour into the baking tin and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top of the brownie is firm but the in-side still feels soft. Take out of the oven and cool in the tin
- While the brownies are cooking, make the ‘carrots’ by melting the ½ cup of chocolate in the micro-wave in 30 second intervals (stirring in between) until smooth. Add a small amount of orange food gel, and stir to incorporate.
- Get a baking tray lined with baking paper ready, and holding the stems of the strawberries back, dip each one into the chocolate making sure to go as high up as you can. Place onto the tray and carefully fold the stem down again so it sticks to the chocolate. Repeat with all strawberries.
- Scrape the remaining melted chocolate out and into a small zip lock bag. Snip a tiny bit of the end off and drizzle the chocolate over the strawberries to create the lines on the ‘carrot’ and also make some extra carrots by making a long triangle shape in zig zagging the chocolate to fill in the centre. Place into the fridge to set for a few minutes
- Remove from fridge and melt the remaining chocolate and tint green the same way you did the orange chocolate.
- Place into a small zip lock bag and make the top of the carrot by carefully piping some lines from the top of the carrot upwards. Make sure to have the green touching the orange at the top so it sticks the two together. Set in the fridge.
- Tint the coconut green by adding a few drops of green colouring to about ½ cup desiccated coco-nut, adding to a zip lock bag and gently massaging it around until its evenly coloured.
- Once the brownies have cooled, ice with the chocolate icing, sprinkle with the sprinkles and then top with the strawberry ‘carrots. Push the ends in slightly so that they look like they are coming out of the ‘ground’
- Place the coconut grass and the chocolate carrots around to complete your carrot patch