This is a great quick and tasty vegetarian meal that hides the good stuff!
Ingredients (serves 5 | makes 16 )
- 1kg Spinach, chopped
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 650g Ricotta Cheese
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 16 Cannelloni Tubes
- 1 cup Cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 500g Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees c.
- Wash the spinach and fry it in a large pan with olive oil on low heat until soft. Remove the spinach from heat and leave to settle.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add garlic and onion and ricotta cheese. Add to the spinach off heat, add salt, pepper, eggs and nutmeg and set aside.
- To make the tomato sauce.
Heat oil and cook medium onion for 10 minutes, add the tomato and tomato paste, garlic and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, optionally place in a blender or processor until smooth.
- Lightly grease an oven proof dish and using a teaspoon stuff the spinach mix into the cannelloni tubes and then once prepared spread the tomato sauce on the the top of the tubes and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Notes... This is a regular meal in our house. It hides the greens, they taste fantastic and are quick to prepare. Its worth investing in a mixture dispenser to bring down the cannelloni tube stuffing time.