Full of goodness and bursting with flavour, these pies are great for lunch or dinner
Ingredients (makes 6 individual pies)
- 1 TBS Oil
- 10 Button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small Onion, finely diced
- 1 cup Frozen peas, corn & carrot mix (or you can use fresh)
- 1 ltr Chicken stock
- 85g Butter
- 55g Plain flour
- 500g Inghams diced chicken
- 3-4 pieces Short cut bacon, diced
- 1 tsp Thyme chopped
- 2 pieces Puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- salt & pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and add the bacon and onion. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add in the mushrooms, and cook for a few minutes stirring until the mushrooms have softened slightly. Place into a bowl and set aside
- Add in a touch more oil if need be and cook the chicken pieces until cooked through.
- Add the bacon, onion and mushroom mix back in with the chicken, and then add in the carrot, peas and corn mix, thyme and half the stock. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook stirring constantly for a few minutes until combined. Gradually add in the remaining stock, and reduce to a low heat and simmer, stirring until thickened.
- Add the sauce mixture to the chicken and vegetable mixture, and season well. Divide the mix be-tween 6 large ramekins.
- Cut out the pastry so that it is slightly larger than the ramekins ( you want it to overhang slightly around the edges) and press around the edges lightly with your finger to seal. Cut a small cross in the centre of each pie to allow steam to escape when cooking
- Brush the tops of each pie with egg wash, and put into the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until tops are golden brown, and pies are bubbling. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving