A great way to get more veggies into little and big kids alike, these mornay pasties are creamy and cheesy and delicious hot or cold
Ingredients (makes 10 Pasties)
- 500g Ingham's Diced chicken breast
- 1/2 cup Peas, cooked
- 1/2 cup Corn, cooked
- 1/2 cup Carrot, cooked and diced small
- 1/4 small Red onion, diced finely
- 3/4 cup Grated tasty cheese
- 3 TBS Butter
- 1/4 cup Plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 5 sheets Frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Salt & Pepper
- Paprika (to taste)
- Finely chopped parsley (to taste)
- 2 eggs beaten
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook the chicken pieces in a little oil and then when almost cooked, add in the onion and continue to cook for a few more minutes until the onions have softened and chicken is cooked through. remove from heat and set aside
- In another sauce pan, melt the butter. once melted, add the flour, stirring with a wire whisk.
- When blended, add in the milk bit by bit while stirring continually with the whisk until all the milk is in and the sauce has no lumps and has thickened.
- Add in the cheese and allow to melt through the sauce, then remove from heat and stir in the herbs, salt and pepper, all vegetables and the chicken. Set aside
- Cut circles out of the pastry by cutting with a knife around a small bowl (I used a cereal bowl and got 2 circles from each piece of pastry)
- Put some of the chicken and vegetable mornay mixture on half of each circle, leaving a 1cm border around the edge and being careful not to over fill.
- Carefully fold the top of the pastry over to form a pastie shape, and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper, and brush tops with the beaten egg. Add the sesame seeds now if you wish to.
- Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 15-25 minutes or until golden in colour and puffed up.
- Serve with a salad or eat on their own - either way they are good!